Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-15 of 15 Results
  1. Diseases and Pests
    On August 28, 2023, in Katy, TX, an unexpected and unsettling discovery greeted me during an evening check-up. Within an apiary housing 20 hives, I found the entrances of six were strewn with dead bees. This somber sight was not only disheartening but deeply perplexing. I know that there are...
  2. Scientific Studies / CCD / Neonics
    Hello, I am a student and I am writing a paper about Colony Collapse Disorder and how the decline of the bee population is affecting agricultural businesses. Last year my family had 12 hives and lost 11 over the winter. I would like to know about beekeepers’ personal experiences and how their...
  3. New Member Introductions
    Hello, I am a high school student in Northwestern Ohio and my parents have been keeping bees for about 5 years. I am currently writing a research paper for a college agribusiness class about Colony Collapse disorder and how it affects beekeeper’s businesses and agriculture in general. I will be...
  4. Scientific Studies / CCD / Neonics
    From Dr. Mark Winston at Simon Fraser in Vancouver, BC, Canada: http://tinyurl.com/pfgbqev His research showed that yields of canola (and profits) were increased when there was a deliberate (large-- ~1/3) portion of farmland that was not cropland--but left fallow. The differences in dollars...
  5. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I feel let down once our local farmer proceeds to enter the acreage we have leased and lucky for me its only 6 acres. This year, corn and yes it was planted with no till/drill process. My questioning of the neonicotinoids surrounding the corn was basically ignored/returned with silence and...
  6. General Bee Forum Discussions
    With increase of Colony Collapse Disorder, there have been many advocates for a return to nature's way of beekeeping (organic beekeeping). The methodology employed allows the bees to live in a more natural environment mirroring how they would live in the wild. I am in support of such strategies...
  7. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Hello! I am hoping to get into contact with beekeepers near the areas of Kansas City (or Lawrence, or anywhere in about a one hour driving radius.) I am a student at the Kansas City Art Institute looking to talk to some folks about colony collapse disorder and look at some hives up close as a...
  8. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Some studies have reported that summer bees rather than winter bees were found in colonies going into the winter. The difference is in the smaller fat reserves, leaving summer bees with much shorter lifespans. When the fat reserve is used up, a bee leaves the colony to die away from the hive...
  9. Diseases and Pests
    Hello everyone, Scientists and beekeepers alike have investigated the potential causes of CCD. Some say mites and viruses are involved, others contend that pesticides are also play a crucial role. Nevertheless, there is still no solid explanation as to why bee populations are declining rapidly...
  10. General Bee Forum Discussions
    This is a two day story... | |Well, the first day, at 1 o'clock, a man who works for a removal company called me up and told me that they had bees for me. He takes them out of his truck in a small cardboard box, like one might be used for a TV remote. We bring them to my side yard to...
  11. Diseases and Pests
    Dear Friend, Since 2006, U.S. honey bee populations have been in precipitous decline, with some estimates suggesting losses as high as 30% per year. While that's terrible, the problem is far greater than just the loss of a species. Without bees, our food supply is in serious danger. Pollination...
  12. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Disease can unleash a weakness of unregulated free market capitalism. Epidemics resulting in labor shortages cause wage inflation creating an incentive for migration into the afflicted zones. This is the exact opposite of the quarantine measures that are necessary instead. Quarantine is...
  13. Beekeeping Meetings and Classes
    FREE SCREENING Tuesday, November 9: 6:30pm Green Film Screening & Discussion "Vanishing of the Bees" (USA, 2010, 87 min. TRAILER) Kern Valley Growers Association & KRV Garden Group This documentary takes a piercing investigative look at the economic, political & ecological implications of the...
  14. Diseases and Pests
    ‘Commercial beehives pollinate over a third of [North}America’s crops and that web of nourishment encompasses everything from fruits like peaches, apples, cherries, strawberries and more, to nuts like California almonds, 90 percent of which are helped along by the honeybees. Without this...
  15. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Respond to this if you have FIRST HAND experience with colony collapse. How many hives do you have, what geographic location, what type, and when did the bees disappear? Just curious really but i'm going to share the responses with the NYC Beekeepers Association. Thanks in advance!
1-15 of 15 Results