Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-12 of 12 Results
  1. Winter Beekeeping
    Hypothetically ;);) let's say you have a nuc or a single deep and they have very little or even NO honey left in January. Could they successfully overwinter with just mountain camp sugar or sugar bricks until you could feed them syrup in Spring? Zone 6B
  2. General Bee Forum Discussions
    The most enthusiastic waggle dance Tom Seeley had ever seen was for water in winter. Last year I fed water drops on the landing board and later inserted a sponge on the landing board and had 100% survival. They went ape for water as Tom suggested. I have never seen bees pounce on anything...
  3. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I'm sold. Will forever leave soaked sponges at the entrance and spray water on sugar bricks to get hives through the tough months. Every few days I take a carton of sugar and a spray bottle and add then spray as needed. Open fed pollen sub (glad it's not a door stop anymore) in Feb March and...
  4. Diseases and Pests
    UPDATE: Users all agree... Varroa. Thanks for the feedback. This fall, I had three hives. Two of them seemed strong, but I was keeping a close eye on the 3rd as it was a caught swarm. I noticed that the 3rd hive was being robbed by yellow jackets. The wasps were trying with various...
  5. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I noticed one of my hives did not appear active over the last couple of days and decided to check on it since it was 57 degrees today. Sure enough, the hive was dead. I found the cluster of bees on either side of a middle frame with lots of bees buried head-first in the cells. I think I...
  6. Treatment-Free Beekeeping
    Hi All TF Beekeeps, I have been TF for about 5 years and it was going pretty well till last years drought.. We experienced terrible dryness here last year beginning about mid July. My bees ate through their honey and I had to start supplementing with syrup. I figured out they were truly in...
  7. Equipment/Hardware
    Hello forum readers, I currently am working with a team on a collaborative project to develop an electrical hive health monitoring system to increase awareness of honey-bee related health issues. Our project is currently being funded and further considered by Analog Devices, Inc., which is a...
  8. Diseases and Pests
    Hi guys, last year was my first year keeping bees. This winter I lost a hive in some cold weather about a month ago. I wasn't able to go in and get the hive to go through it until two days ago. While going through the hive it was evident that they died from starvation. All the cells where the...
  9. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Went in to checkerboard my 2 hives this weekend and found them almost out of stores--less than 10 lbs each. They are both full of bees and the Italian hive has been cranking out brood and flying all winter. The "Sunkist, I think" hive hasn't flown as much and hasn't had many orientation...
  10. Photo/Video Gallery
    The beard Same hive, 3 days earlier
  11. Beekeeping 101
    Newbee here; first winter, central Arkansas. Entered winter with good stores, I was told. One deep and two supers full, 8 frame. SBB top and bottom. Italians. Huge number going into winter. It should be about 66 today; cloudy, looks gusty. I've been doing lots of reading and lots say to check...
  12. Commercial Beekeeping
    :lookout: :lookout: :lookout: For all you out of state'rs who brought bees in to the almonds and went back home with your annual paycheck: Get some rubber boots on your feet and a syrup bucket in your hand. 2/11/09 The weather forcast (Northern California) for the next ten days looks...
1-12 of 12 Results