Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-20 of 74 Results
  1. Top Bar & Horizontal Hive Forum
    In several posts, I have seen it recommended to temporarily separate some bars to allow for the application of certain treatments like Apivar or Formic Pro. I have 2 Kenyan-style Top Bar Hives and the design on both allow for bees to enter/exit the area above the bars from the outside. I assume...
  2. New Member Introductions
    Hi Everyone, So happy to have this community & resource. I'm a relatively new beekeeper (having rented for 3 years) and now diving in to my own Top Bar (TJ Carr). I installed my bees from Zia Queens this last Saturday and they are already bringing in pollen. I'm a UX Designer by day and a...
  3. New Member Introductions
    This is only my second season keeping bees. Last year I built a top bar hive and made a few rookie mistakes. I started too big and the bees couldn't keep up with the hive beetles. I lost the hive. This year I made some corrections to my design. I cleaned out all the old comb, tightened up some...
  4. Beekeeping 101
    I have not done an inspection yet, but the bees are coming out for cleansing flights and cleaning out the dead. On the really warm days, hundreds appear to be buzzing about the hive. First winter appears to be a success. Now what? I don't plan to start a commercial operation here. The bees can...
  5. New Member Introductions
    Hi everyone, I’m just starting out and I’m trying a Top Bar Hive that I built. I’d love to connect with other TBH folks. Marezav
    tbh
  6. Splits/Combines
    Hi, I have a hive that I think I'll be able to split in the next couple of weeks, and the hive that I'd like to put them into is only about 4ft away, and oriented in the same direction. I'm curious if this is too close, and if the workers that are heading out to forage will just go back into...
  7. Member Classifieds
    Greetings from Gold Star Honeybees! The Gold Star Deluxe top bar hive kit gets the Gold ⭐️ Star when it comes to easy inspections, quality construction, versatility, and in-the-field lifespan. Made of sustainable, long-lasting cypress, our Deluxe Hive kit will make your beekeeping journey...
  8. Top Bar & Horizontal Hive Forum
    Today I inspected my hive and noticed a very large number of dead bees in the bottom of the hive (I would guess around half to 2/3 of the entire hive). What happened? Can the hive be saved? What do I need to do? I installed a 3lbs package 3 weeks ago in my TBH. Last week we had a late spring...
  9. Beekeeping 101
    All seems settled doen now but my TBH had an interesting start... I installed a pacjkage to a hive and they promply left, only to show up the next day in an (unfinished) hive a few feet away on the next day. As the hive the hive they picked was unfinished and not near level,I moved them back...
  10. Top Bar & Horizontal Hive Forum
    Hi everyone, please excuse my lack of knowledge here. Hoping you all could help me with my question. My dad recently passed away unexpectedly. Just before he died, he had built two top bar bee hives with the works--viewing windows, temperature gauges, a screen for mites, etc. He was so excited...
  11. Member Classifieds
    ⭐️🐝🐝🐝 The Gold Star top bar hive comes in 4 versions: Deluxe - no woodworking necessary, assembly only. $495 DIY #2 - comes with all 30 top bars, the hardware, the construction plans. $325 DIY #1 - comes with the hardware - the antidote to "big box store syndrome". $75 Plans - Just the plans...
  12. Treatment-Free Beekeeping
    I am just learning about TF beekeeping and I am interested in getting your thoughts on what you consider are the keys to treatment free beekeeping. My main goal is colony survival. Honey production is not even a factor for me at this stage. I am in the PNW and therefore mostly concerned with...
  13. Top Bar & Horizontal Hive Forum
    Hi All, This is my first year beekeeping, I hived a package May 1st here. They were just booming in their hive so I added another hive and performed a split to prevent swarming. I spaced both hives to keep the brood nest open, the honey stores aren't full in either but the original hive keeps...
  14. Top Bar & Horizontal Hive Forum
    Good afternoon. Need advice on the best way to feed the TBH. I just built four from the Bee Thinking plans and they are awesome! Bee thinking sells the bottles in a tray. Is that the only way? Are there any that resembled the shape of the hive ends? thx
  15. Top Bar & Horizontal Hive Forum
    Up here on PEI the winter is long and -20C weather is quite common in January and Feb. I was thinking of foregoing the 1x12s for making the body of the hive and getting some finished plywood instead, sandwiching 3/4" or 1" polystyrene insulation between the layers of ply. Doing the same for the...
  16. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I put an outside feeder near my Hive. I noticed the Bees were fighting one another, they were biting the legs of other Bees and basically wrestling and fighting but not stinging each other to death. Just biting other Bees and their legs, some would gang up on one and beat it up and drag it to...
  17. Top Bar & Horizontal Hive Forum
    Any opinions or advice on how to install a package. Shakeing could hurt the bees too much. Maybe. I hear some folks just install the queen and get a cluster around her and then open the package and turn it upside down and let the rest go in to the Hive when they want. Please advise. BTB
  18. Top Bar & Horizontal Hive Forum
    Hello all! As the title says, I seem to have lured in a swarm, but I'm new to this and not sure what to do next. I set up a full size top bar hive sectioned off with follower boards, so the entrance opens into a 10 bar section. The opening is wine cork sized, not the full hole. I put in...
  19. Top Bar & Horizontal Hive Forum
    I installed my first package of bees 2 days ago in a brand new tbh. I didn't use any wax as a guide or foundation, just the wood guides for a few reasons. Anyways I just checked to see if the queen had been released, she had not, but they were building comb parallel to the bar and attaching it...
  20. Top Bar & Horizontal Hive Forum
    I am currently building my 1st TBH and have a design concern that I must address. I have a few ideas for solutions but want to know how it will affect performance and more importantly, the useability/manageability of the hive. The design is basically two trapezoidal shaped end-frames made from...
1-20 of 74 Results