Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-20 of 22 Results
  1. Beekeeping 101
    2nd year- (correcting mistakes from 1st year)- lost hives last year partially due to YK predation. So this year added robbing screens straight away to nucs. Really impressed so far with use and noticed a Bald Faced Hornet on the face of one of the robbing screens the other day. Since the...
  2. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I lost my bees in 2016 and just started by catching swarms last year. I split the swarms this spring and now have five well producing hives. I have gone through the hives every two weeks and I have NO HIVE BEETLES in any of the hives. This is phenomenal to me as I have fought the little buggers...
  3. Diseases and Pests
    New beekeeper here, near the end of my first season of beekeeping...doing well, except! I've noticed a cyclical thing where 5-25 bees are stumbling around near the hive, apparently unable to fly until they die. I had assume it was an indication of varroa increase as the numbers of stumblers...
  4. New Member Introductions
    We are an Irish Company www.apisprotect.com formed as a result of 3 years of scientific trials of in hive sensors, big data and machine learning conducted by my colleagues Dr Fiona Edwards Murphy - an IBM Scholar and Google Women Techmakers Scholar, and supervised by Dr Pádraig Whelan - senior...
  5. Diseases and Pests
    We are novice beekeepers in Denver, CO and are baffled by what our hive is doing. We got a nuc in early May and they went to town establishing a healthy hive and bursting population right away. However, as a note, they have never drawn out all of their frames with comb, they seem to have...
  6. Beekeeping 101
    So I have tried almost every trick I can find in these forums to deal with ants. These ants are larger reddish black ants. I did the cinnamon around the hive and that worked for a week or so, then they stopped being bothered by it. I recently putout some liquid ant bait ( no where where the bees...
  7. Beekeeping 101
    Need some advice. Have two hives one really strong the other one is weak just requeened. I am having problems with a flock of bluejays that are agitating my larger hive. The bees are not aggressive to me, but these birds are really making them crazy. The hive defends itself from them, but it is...
  8. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Hello! I'm currently in FL and listening to Tropical Storm Colin outside. Today was rainy, yesterday was rainy, and it looks like all next week is going to be cloudy/rainy (maybe not a constant downpour, but at least daily scattered thunderstorms.) My hive is about two months old and is doing...
  9. Diseases and Pests
    Hello! Newbee here. I have a hive in FL. I haven't seen any problems with it yet, but am trying to stay on top of things. Every inspection I make sure to study and take pictures of the brood to make sure everything's going Ok and I keep my eye out for Small Hive Beetles, too. But I was...
  10. Diseases and Pests
    I have a volunteer hive underneath the floor of my wooden shop. I hope to move them to a better location for me come spring. This morning I went out to check temperatures on the floor. Sorta stuck in 1 of 3 access holes for the bees to come up to the sugar syrup was this bee. As you can see -...
  11. Diseases and Pests
    Ugh! We have had a "colony"--clearly a cluster/swarm of black flies overtaking us! There's nothing dead for them to be attracted to, no exposed feeders, other food sources...they're just clustering near each of my hives (small apiary in Co) and multiplying so fast that I think it's wearing...
  12. Diseases and Pests
    I have a elder box bug problem, they seem to love my hive and the bees don't like them at all. I watch the bees try and chase them off but they keep coming back. I've even put several essential oils all over the hive to keep them away. But of course they don't seem to care. Has anyone had this...
  13. Diseases and Pests
    Hello, I am new to this forum community, but if anyone can help answer my questions then I will be very grateful! We have three hives on the roof of a campus building at my school. They have yet to be wintered, and are each low with honey stores (we did not harvest). I have noticed brown...
  14. General Bee Forum Discussions
    First of all I'm in North Florida and have six hives. This is my second year beekeeping. I had hive that had good activity for the past few months coming in and out of the entrance(bearding and washboarding). A few days ago I noticed that there was barely any activity. Today I opened it up...
  15. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Hello all - I'm unsure the correct forum to put this question on - but this seems like the best 'general' area. Anyway, it's June here and the June bugs (also known as june beetles) are out in full force. In previous years I'd just 'spray' all my plants to keep then 'at bay' as best I could...
  16. Diseases and Pests
    Today I placed a gallon jug of water under two legs of my hive and put the other two inside a cement mixing tray. I filled everything with water to try and create a moat to stop the ants. Later today I looked and one of the gallon jugs was just touching the back leg and the **** things had made...
  17. General Bee Forum Discussions
    In summer 2012 I was fortunate enough to get two complete hives. I have been reading all I can and this is what I can tell you. When I checked the hives this is what I observed...... 1. The foundations were all pretty much drawn out, with honey, larvae, and newly laid eggs. All seemed fine...
  18. Diseases and Pests
    Hi all, We set up our first hive last April, and the colony was doing great. 2 brood chambers and a honey super all packed by August. The outer frames still had some room left, so we left off adding another honey super until it began looking like an Indian Summer out here in Cali. If the...
  19. Treatment-Free Beekeeping
    OK, I do not want pests or pesticides. Picked up a conventional langstrom hive with bees and queen (who I have not seen) top super has almost no comb, no honey, bottom super has good comb development, plenty of bees, calm, so I think they are queenright. Bottom board, telescoping lid, no inner...
  20. Diseases and Pests
    First, I have to thank Bejay from chat for helping me get a handle on my little disaster. The only bee left in my hive was the queen, and she took off after I opened it. But the comb was far from wiped out, even though I harvested about half a gallon of wax moth larvae and pupae to feed my...
1-20 of 22 Results