Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-13 of 13 Results
  1. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I have a double nuc that overwintered as 4x4 and will be taking each side and installing in a reg size hive body. I have heard these things take off in their second year, Exactly how fast do they build up and how quickly will I need to add boxes and supers? Thanks!
  2. Equipment/Hardware
    As I increase my double nucs I would like to have an inexpensive way to make the 4 frame super boxes on top from plywood. I found all sorts of 5 frame nuc plans from Plywood, but need 4 frame plans so I can make up some of these from plywood as I get short on woodenware. Is there a place for...
  3. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I have a double nuc that looks like it will make it through the 1st winter, praise God. I think I am supposed to just take each nuc that overwintered and install in a full size hive that is a deadout. Both sides are 4 over 4 with mountain camp on top in a shared super. I also have some bee...
  4. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I have a double nuc which I just made up from a hive with 2 deeps. I do not have a telescoping cover for this one and am just using a top entrance board flipped over to seal things up. How will this affect ventilation in summer? I imagine it's going to be crazy hot in there. the nuc also has a...
  5. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I have seen a few videos of double nucs where the divider board is very thin. Does this promote better heat sharing between the colonies? I ask b/c I am making up a second double nuc w/ existing equipment and am wondering if i should use 3/4 in plywood or something thinner. My first double...
  6. General Bee Forum Discussions
    What are the minimum requirements to do a double nuc at this time of year? I am located in Pennsylvania and was given 2 swarms that were very healthy and I set them up in a double nuc 4x4, with 8 total frames on each side. I like the idea of hedging your bets by having multiple nucleus colonies...
  7. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Overview of Setup Mid-michigan, moving toward sidelining. Buying 10 nucs this spring. Setting 20 traps. Goals 1. Build bees (splitting and trapping) 2. Requeen trapped bees (using northern hardy genetics) 3. Modest honey harvest (mainly off of the 10 nucs) 4. Accumulate drawn frames I'm...
  8. Beekeeping Meetings and Classes
    Michael Palmer is coming to the Flat Rock Play House in Hendersonville, NC on March 25, 2016. Visit hcbeekeepers.org to register.
  9. Consumer Report
    I ordered, through Beesource Private Message, 3 queens from Mike. He sent them on Monday, July 20 and I received them the next day on Tuesday July 21. They were sent by USPS Priority Express and were delivered to my front door. He had Emailed me the day before shipping, and the day of shipping...
  10. General Bee Forum Discussions
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIjiInZRxrQ Published on Mar 25, 2014 A lecture given by Mike Palmer at the National Honey Show 2013 entitled "Comb Honey Production in the Northern Champlain Valley".
  11. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Looking for more from Mike, I found this video of a talk he did this year, and I really enjoyed it. It may have been posted here before, but to anyone who hasn't seen it, and is interested in a very knowledgeable beekeeper giving an engaging presentation on how to create a sustainable system of...
  12. Beekeeping Meetings and Classes
    Michael Palmer & Dennis VanEngelsdorp to speak at Maine State Beekeepers Assoc.10/15 Michael Palmer and Dennis VanEngelsdorp will be the featured speakers at the MSBA Meeting in Lewiston, ME on 10/15/2011. Cost is only $40/per person and includes lunch. Meeting is 9am - 4pm. Meeting...
  13. Beekeeping 101
    Michael Bush has asked that I participate in a discussuin on "Wintering Nucs." I do winter nucs here in the northern Champlain Valley of Vermont and New York. More than 400 this winter. This is sometning that my good friend and sometimes mentor, Kirk Webster, has talked me into. I say talked me...
1-13 of 13 Results