Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-20 of 25 Results
  1. Equipment/Hardware
    The setup isn't that expensive and many like myself in the past have wondered how these things are put together. There are many ways to do it but this is how I run mine. https://youtu.be/J9pSC4CO-vo
  2. Member Classifieds
    I have five 275 gallon totes of Sucrose syrup available. 100% sugar cane derived. The pH is 5.3. The syrup is light, young, and not cloudy. This is what we use to feed our bees as well and the bees winter and build up well on it. This product can be diluted to make one to 1:1 or be fed straight...
  3. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I'm sold. Will forever leave soaked sponges at the entrance and spray water on sugar bricks to get hives through the tough months. Every few days I take a carton of sugar and a spray bottle and add then spray as needed. Open fed pollen sub (glad it's not a door stop anymore) in Feb March and...
  4. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Hi all, just got 3.5 tons of pro sweet from Kelleys/mannlake in Clarkson KY. The price is 38 cents a 100lb. Cheaper if you buy alot more. The folks at Kelleys like Jennifer, Paul, and Kathryn are great folks and are very helpful and treat you like family. Pro sweet is thick like honey and it is...
  5. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Beek since May/2 Hives/Fast learner. Mite treatments last month. This month feeding. Made the mistake of not fully closing the lid on a tank style hive top feeder. Came home a couple hours later to see (from a distance) a dark line of bees trying to get into the top and starting to rob the...
  6. Observation Hive Forum
    Hi, everyone. Just got an observation hive last week - 8 frame by Bonterra Bees. For background, I'm on a farm in Half Moon Bay, CA (Zone 9B) a mile from the ocean. Temperate, lots of flowering plants & trees (flowering and fruit) through most of the season. My hive will be managed by a...
  7. Beekeeping 101
    I have a hive with two brood boxes and I just added a super last weekend. How long are you suppose to feed the bees? I have cut back to very thin sugar syrup but I have bees everywhere. They are covering the whole hive. Its pushing 100 degrees here, so do I need to keep feeding or take it away?
  8. Commercial Beekeeping
    I've been looking around for different ways to feed my bees so that I do not have to crack the box every couple days and saw an article on open feeding. I was just curious if many people use open feeding and if you do what they think about it and what do you use to put the feed in.
  9. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I have 2 hives (each with 2 deeps and a honey super). Honey supers were added 6 weeks ago. One hive's h.s has 4 worked frames of the 10. The other hive (I checked it yest., Monday) has totally zero worked in the h.s. All deeps seem worked well (pollen/honey, as far as I can tell) , but today I...
  10. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I have 2 hives that are going well. I removed the feeders about a week ago and I just put on the first medium supers(w/ drawn comb) Monday afternoon. I checked 5 days later and they had filled 6.5 of the 8 frames already. Problem is, this one hive has a ton of stores mostly made of sugar...
  11. Photo/Video Gallery
    Close up Video of Bees Feeding on a Spring 1:1 Sugar Syrup Mix You can hear some Rainbow Lorikeets, Australian Magpies and some Pied Currawongs whistling in the background.
  12. Swarms, Trap-outs, and Cut-outs
    Our first hive is going to come from a cutout. We are really excited about it. I understand that there's a possibility that they may not make it through the winter because it's so late in the season but we are going to give it our best. Question number one-transporting the cutout. A pro is going...
  13. Treatment-Free Beekeeping
    I was at the Farm Market today selling some of my honey and I saw a guy there with a milk jug filled with a dark liquid. I asked him what it was and he said it was Worm Tea. I asked him what it was used for and he told me that another beekeeper get 25 gallons from him every year. I asked what he...
  14. New Member Introductions
    Good evening Everyone, I'm new to beesource and really looking for some good advice. Last year I had a great hive that got robbed late in summer. Kinda sad but my neighbor who had 35 hives, didn't feed at all late season, now he has only 5 hives. So I got another hive this year and I'm...
  15. Top Bar & Horizontal Hive Forum
    Hi, Who feeds their new bees? I was under the impression i didn't have to feed them, but am wondering what opinions are...? Thanks!
  16. Beekeeping 101
    Hello all. I installed 2 new packages sunday, a week ago. both hives are doing well but on 1 of the hives i believe i'm having some 'robbing' or feral bee activity. I've got the same feeder in the picture on both hives and both hives have been 'eating' all of the sugar water in about 2 days...
  17. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I'm a new beek and I have 4 hives. I began with 2 nucs, caught a swarm, and inherited a fourth this month. The new hive is not well (mites, deformed wing virus) but passed an inspection before I took it home, with the caveat that I should treat for mites. Yesterday I put Api Life Var in all 4...
  18. Photo/Video Gallery
    7/2/2012 I made a few of these today for feeding pollen substitute on the top bars of a hive. Please notice that the feed Rim can be reversed. I plan leaving them out in the sun for a few days and then they will be dipped in hot paraffin. Video. More photos and videos will be posted as...
  19. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I melt my combs and cappings in a double boiler. The wax and honey separate when cooled. Can I use this "cooked" honey to feed my bees or is this unsafe for the bees?
  20. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I was just thinking about the supplemental feeds that we feed our bees, in particular I've been wondering about what contaminants might be in the ingredients. Some of the ingredients we use to feed our honey bees: Soybean flour --> soybean seeds are treated with neonicotinoid insecticides...
1-20 of 25 Results