Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-20 of 24 Results
  1. New Member Introductions
    Total n00b here. We are located in the Chihuahuan Desert about 60 miles east of El Paso, TX. Found a swarm that decided to take residence in my pumphouse. It's not just a swarm becauase they are building comb. My wife and I have often toyed with the idea of keeping bees. So, we've decided to...
  2. Swarms, Trap-outs, and Cut-outs
    I tried a trap out in my neighbor's house about two months ago when the bees first moved in. It didn't work. We vacuumed a bunch of the bees into a hive body and added a queen, but the hive in his house continued to thrive. He then sprayed two cans of foaming Spectracide Carpenter Bee and...
  3. Swarms, Trap-outs, and Cut-outs
    Hello All, The wife and I spent yesterday rescuing a bee tree we rescued a while back. The cut-out was remarkably easy even though it was in a huge section (about 5ft x 3ft) of an old oak. The bees were incredibly gentle, and we managed to split the section without them even noticing. We...
  4. Swarms, Trap-outs, and Cut-outs
    We all know that when constructing comb, the bees 'cant' the comb slightly upward on both sides (I'll guess ~10 degrees?), making the two sides of comb form a slight 'V.' When doing an extraction from inside a wall, we all know the comb runs up and down inside the wall forming vertical...
  5. Swarms, Trap-outs, and Cut-outs
    I need help "encouraging" a colony to move up into a hive body. I relocated a large birdhouse which was heavily colonized (1'x1'base, 2' tall) to my bee yard. I did not have enough spare deep boxes to put around the tall birdhouse so I made a modified bottom board/adapter thingie by cutting a...
  6. Swarms, Trap-outs, and Cut-outs
    Completed my first cutout yesterday and thought I would share the lesson learnt. The wild hive was in the back of a couch that was on a veranda. It had been there for nearly 3 months but already had several large combs of brood each similar in size to a deep frame, but vertical. I cut out the...
  7. Swarms, Trap-outs, and Cut-outs
    A little over a week ago, I got a call from my beekeeping mentor letting me know he'd been told about a bee tree that had been cut down. He said he didn't have the room or the inclination to cut them out. Well, being a new beek and thinking "how bad could it be", I told him I was interested and...
  8. General Bee Forum Discussions
    7online.com/pets/queens-bees-woman-finds-bees-lots-of-honey-in-apartment-ceiling/275795/#gallery-9
  9. Swarms, Trap-outs, and Cut-outs
    Anyone ever done this?? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!! So I got a call from a renovation company that there is a big hive located near the top, approx. 150-170ft up and they need it gone. He tells me they tried killing it last year with spray and it didn't work. From the pics he...
  10. Swarms, Trap-outs, and Cut-outs
    I'm looking for advice on doing a cutout from behind a plaster wall. The bees are coming into a crack in between bricks on a second story building, at about the level of the floor. Getting to them from the outside won't be possible. From the inside, prying up some of the old floorboards right...
  11. Swarms, Trap-outs, and Cut-outs
    Crazy late for a cutout in Ct. right?? But the homeowner is selling the house and the buyer wanted it gone!! Temps got above 50deg. just barely on Sunday so I went for it. Homeowner swears that there has been bees there for 40 years and from the look of of all the propolis along the drip edge I...
  12. Swarms, Trap-outs, and Cut-outs
    Our first hive is going to come from a cutout. We are really excited about it. I understand that there's a possibility that they may not make it through the winter because it's so late in the season but we are going to give it our best. Question number one-transporting the cutout. A pro is going...
  13. Swarms, Trap-outs, and Cut-outs
    Had a guy call me about a big ash tree down with bees inside. I went over to do the cut and found about 5 layers of comb 3' long and a good bit of new comb. Started taking the comb out and putting it in my box. I was keeping a pretty close eye out for good brood and the queen. The further I dug...
  14. Swarms, Trap-outs, and Cut-outs
    This month, I'll be performing my first cutout out of an old abandoned shed in the middle of the woods. I want to transfer the bees directly into a langstroth hive. How can I make sure I get all the bees from the cutout? Can I leave the hive in the area of the cutout and the stragglers will...
  15. Swarms, Trap-outs, and Cut-outs
    Starting another year of cutouts (2 scheduled already and there was snow on the ground yesterday!). I'm insured, experienced, and I charge. I kept the prices lower in the past because I just wanted the bees and the experience, but now that I'm doing queen rearing, and have a lot of other...
  16. Swarms, Trap-outs, and Cut-outs
    I have done a lot of research on bee vacs. I see people sucking bees into buckets, cardboard cylinders, and even old coolers. One thing seems for sure they do suck up bees but the job of re-installing them is still ahead. After playing with a few different ideas it came to me. This bee vac is...
  17. Swarms, Trap-outs, and Cut-outs
    We are relatively new beeks, but we have a friend who wants us to remove a hive from a crawlspace that is relatively 8 to 10 inches. This seems to be an enormous hive. They also get relatively hot whenever you bother the hive. It has been in place for two years or there about. The owners are...
  18. Swarms, Trap-outs, and Cut-outs
    I do cutouts and trapouts as a hobby. Most of the time I charge, just because it's nasty work, and there's some expense with all the plastic and time away from family, and you don't always end up with a product that adds value - i.e. a new hive. However, it's gone pretty well for me and I have...
  19. Swarms, Trap-outs, and Cut-outs
    On Saturday, I did my first cut out, out of a rental house (I work for the rental agency) that had called. Going into my second year of beekeeping, I was excited to try out a cut-out, with the help of one of the guys on our maintenance staff. We set up scaffolding (6 feet high) and Saturday...
  20. Equipment/Hardware
    Last year, on this forum, I posted a link on an inexpensive BeeVac you can make by using a 5 Gal. bucket shop vac. The February issue of BeeCulture magazine came out yesterday and they had an article on my vac. The article on how to make it is on page 62 and 63. I hope it helps out people who...
1-20 of 24 Results