Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-20 of 72 Results
  1. Beekeeping 101
    I have a ton of full frames heavy with honey, how do I arrange them into a new hive? (specifically three new hives) I have a ton of bee supplies from failed winter bees that were gifted to me, including their pounds and pounds of honey. I was thinking I arrange the bottom super with empty comb...
  2. Equipment/Hardware
    I would buy most of my equipment from Brushy Mountain. I really liked their frames. Is there a vendor you buy frames from, that you are pleased with? Please share any recommendations. And no I am not interested in making my own lol.
  3. Beekeeping 101
    The nuc I bought had short frames that I transplanted into my new/empty deep box (my second hive was with package bees), I did the research to make sure I was doing it right. It's been a little under a month, and today on my hive inspection they've filled in the space with comb. This isn't a...
  4. Beekeeping 101
    Hello everyone, Can you please give me ideas on how to and where to store frames after I spin and extract the honey? Also, do I need to scrape off all the wax that stays on the frames after extraction or keep it for bees to rebuild on it next year. Also Do I need to put the frames in the deep...
  5. Beekeeping 101
    First year beekeeper here. So I've stripped my supers and reduced my hives down to one broad box in anticipation of getting it ready for winter. I've been feeding my bees 2:1 sugar water and have about 2.5 gallons into each hive so far. I have a ton of bees in my hives to the point I'm...
  6. Equipment/Hardware
    I'm cleaning some old frames and it's probably not worth the effort, but I do them a little at a time. If there are any better ways to do this, I'm all ears.
  7. Where To Buy . . .
    In the past, the overall cheapest/laziest frame option for my purposes has been the Walter T. Kelley F-style foundationless frames. I was about to buy 1000 more to assemble this winter, but that product--along with some of their other frames--has been removed from their website, with no...
  8. Member Classifieds
    I have some left over new deep frames from Mann Lake. These are wood frames with yellow plastic foundation. (100- 150) Also, 50 lbs melted down wax for sale at $5.50 per pound. David Simonson Statesville, NC 704-450-7335
  9. Want To Buy
    I am looking for standard-size deep honey suppers with drawn comb Located in California Truck load quantities ; or less considered, if located reasonably close to Central California lenDelta@hotmail.com
  10. Member Classifieds
    5 Frame Nucs - 3 frame brood, 1.5 food - $165 500+ available Single Box Hive - $225 - Free 4 way pallet for every 4 Double Deeps - $300 - Free 4 way pallet for every 4 Other supplies available 4 way pallets - $35 10 frame boxes (assembled and painted) - $12.50 Nuc boxes - $10.50 Plastic...
  11. Beekeeping 101
    Hello fellow beekeepers, I am a first year beekeeper and I thought I was doing pretty well until my hive swarmed away. I now have an empty hive as I head into winter in Western Massachusetts and next Spring (after some more classes) I plan on starting two hives with Nucs. Regarding my...
  12. Member Classifieds
    Bennett Apiaries- New manufactured Hive Equipment -summer 17 Hobby quantities available for pickup only. Soon available for order on our website! If I do not immediately reply on Beesource, please contact me at thomas@bennettapiaries.com or text (530) 526-5504, I cant hear my phone when the...
  13. Equipment/Hardware
    First year here so I'm overthinking most things I'm sure. I've assembled most of the woodware and now need to wire the frames. I see 5/8 nail are common but are they stainless, galvanized, or does it not matter? What size head do I need. Are they a Box nail? I was hoping to find them at a...
  14. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I have some deep brood frames that are already cross-wired. I plan to remove the old comb and try using them as foundationless frames. Will the cross wires interfere with the bees drawing out new comb, or will the just ignore any wires and build out a full frame anyway?
  15. Beekeeping 101
    I see a contradiction in beek resources re: how to begin frame inspections (I'm new to beek). Most say to remove frame #1 to put aside and then examine all the other frames before replacing frame #1. I've also seen, though, some say to remove frame #2 first instead of #1. The reason was...
  16. Beekeeping 101
    Hi all! We just got an English Garden hive from Brushy Mountain Bee Supply, and bought a nuc from the local supplier. The frames that came with the nuc were taller than the frames from Brushy Mountain hive. The Brushy Mountain hive is supposed to have two supers with 8 frames each What we...
  17. Beekeeping 101
    I recently was given a truckload of bee supers, frames etc. Everything for multiple hives. The person had the hives and in a move lost most of the bees or they died off, not sure but it looks like he stored the hives, comb, honey and all in storage buildings for the past 4 years. They are...
  18. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Hi, This is my first year in bee keeping and I've just bought 2 new families. Currently they are on full size frames and I want to relocate them to half frame supers. My question is: Is it worth doing it? Would you advice on how to achieve this. If it is not worth doing it, should I just...
  19. General Bee Forum Discussions
    This is probably a simple question but need to make sure I'm correct. Today I replaced one if my old broken hives with a brand new hive. The new hive has 10 frames. The old hive had 3. Looking at the front of the bee hive I took out 3 empty frames on the RIGHT. I replaced these frames with 3...
  20. Equipment/Hardware
    I wanted to share some lessons I've learned as a very green & new beekeeper in building frames. In doing a fair amount of research & deciding what approach I wanted to take in keeping my bees, I decided that I would go foundationless & bought 1,000 foundationless frames from Kelley Beekeeping...
1-20 of 72 Results