Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-20 of 235 Results
  1. Member Classifieds
    Buckfast Queen, open mated. Bee Monks of Holy Cross Monastery in Wayne, West Virginia. $34.95 each + shipping April is sold out. Available May through late August. Pre-order here. God bless!
    $35 USD
  2. General Bee Forum Discussions
    8-month old beekeeper here. Location: Southeast Asia. I introduced a mated queen into my hive last January 28. The bees did not eat through the candy plug, so I had to manually release her February 4. Per my calculations, I will be broodless (no capped brood) until February 11. Is it safe...
  3. The Queen & Bee Breeding
    I started beekeeping about one year ago and this year I've decided to start queen rearing. Yesterday I grafted larvea for the first time into JZBZ queen cups. Today I went back to the starter hive (nuc box) to check on how they are doing and see if they started making any of the queen cells, but...
  4. The Queen & Bee Breeding
    When banking a queen, will any of the bees from the colony she hatched from be safe to put with her? I'd like to do splits as soon as it's reasonable. Or, can I move her and a few of her sisters into a prepped nuc with some brood and honey? Thanks!
  5. General Bee Forum Discussions
    My hive has recently gone through a supercede within the last few weeks. My last inspection was 2 days ago and I observed eggs but never saw my new young queen. There's was a few cells with 2 eggs but most were single eggs and centered. I'm assuming this was my newly emerged and mated queen and...
  6. The Queen & Bee Breeding
    Upon doing an inspection today, I found about 5 supersedure cells. This hive I started from a package spring 2021. They swarmed last summer, so the current queen is not yet a year old. This queen had a pretty good brood pattern but today, there were only 3 frames that had a lot of capped brood...
  7. Beekeeping 101
    Good morning all, Installed 4 new package on the 9th. Three of four are in great shape, one is not. The queen is present, but there is no sign of eggs, larva, etc... Package was installed into drawn comb, fed 1:1 and given brood builder pattie. Queen appeared to be moving slower than normal...
  8. Photo/Video Gallery
    Hoping I can keep pumping these out indefinitely
  9. The Queen & Bee Breeding
    I’ve read that queen excluders can slow honey production significantly, so are they really necessary? I’ve read that they’re not entirely natural as in the wild, the queen has free reign of the hive. Is it an issue when collecting honey if there is brood in amongst the honey?
  10. Photo/Video Gallery
    Next episode in the series. Randy and Jake previously marked a queen as ok and probably young, only for Cyrus to find a yellow dot (4 years old)...
  11. The Queen & Bee Breeding
    I find it amusing that I've seen enough of his vids now that I sort of mentally "hear" it in his voice. :) Anyway, I thought some of you might be interested in this for what may be a more approachable take on queen rearing for the backyard hobbyist. It should be listed in the YouTube channel...
  12. Beekeeping 101
    I have been noticing that quite a bit of my honeybees' lower abdomens is black. I have Italian honeybees but they swarmed in July so I was thinking maybe because the queen bred with a different breed that's why they look different. The bees with the darker lower abdomens don't seem any different...
  13. Observation Hive Forum
    Hey all, I’m a first time beek with a 3x3 OH. I bought a 3# package of bees last spring that came in a plastic Bee-bus container. The beek that sold them suggested I put the queen cage on the middle frame so I didn’t have to look at it and said I wouldn’t need to open the hive till about Aug. to...
  14. The Queen & Bee Breeding
    Hello guys, I have 8 hives in this particular apiary. Out of those 8 only two are making honey, so far those two made about 90 pounds of honey (3 medium supers). But the remaining 6 have a unique behavior. They do have good number of worker bees but they walking around. None of the girls seem...
  15. The Queen & Bee Breeding
    Hello, my first-year hive swarmed about 3 weeks ago. I did an inspection a week later to see if the virgin queen had emerged and she did although I didn't see her. It's been 2 weeks since then and I still haven't seen her or eggs/larvae. The colony didn't seem chaotic or anything either. Should...
  16. FREE - To Be Given Away
    Got a free mated queen in Atlanta/Cobb county area. Had a queenless hive. Came to install a new one today but nature had already given me a new one all on herself. Let me know if you are interested
  17. The Queen & Bee Breeding
    Does anyone have experience with long term banking of mated queens? I'm looking to bank mated queens overwinter to replace deads as well as sell. I'm from Alberta, Canada so looking to bank for 6 months. Any experience or thoughts on banking in an incubator without attendants? Thanks for your help.
  18. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I was installing a nuc today and thought I had checked the old box thoroughly for the queen. Several hours later I took one last look and lo and behold, I spotted her still in the nuc box. I had left it out in front of the langstroth hive I put them in. I got her on the end of a piece of plastic...
  19. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I have this hive installed from a package a 3.5 weeks ago. They were doing fine, queen was laying like a champ and I decided to mark the queen 1 week ago to know if she swarmed etc. Something must have happened b/c a week later when I checked on them I found no queen and no fresh eggs. And there...
1-20 of 235 Results