Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-20 of 29 Results
  1. General Bee Forum Discussions
    good day! After 2 years of no success, my bait hive has tenants. There is a little problem though. The situation: 1 The bait hive is on a maple tree at about 30 ft. 2 There is a huge beard outside of the hive, especially on the side, where... 3 I did spill quite a bit of lemongrass on the...
  2. Swarms, Trap-outs, and Cut-outs
    Hi all, A similar question is posted in new beekeepers, with apologies. I accidentally found bees in a trap (having seen no activity), but very few bees, with the only comb as shown in the linked photo. Even at night, there are maybe 10-20 bees in the hive. What may have happened, and is...
  3. Diseases and Pests
    I have been watching the SHBs in my hives. My bees are very aggressive against them, chasing, biting, and sometimes even flying away with them. The beetles are usually corralled into a corner or hiding between frames. Thinking about their behavior, I figured they will crawl into any small...
  4. Swarms, Trap-outs, and Cut-outs
    A swarm was spotted on 3/30/19. It appeared to be about 6 lbs. A fellow beekeeper reported the swarm and we set out to retrieve the bees. By the time we arrived at about 2pm the following day, the swarm was about 1/3 of the original size. There was no wax on the branch. We shook the bees...
  5. Swarms, Trap-outs, and Cut-outs
    Went out hanging boxes, one of the first few nice days this spring. Most of these spots are way out in the sticks. The nearest rural house is 3 to 5 miles away depending on the spot. No tips or info this Vid (my video link at the end has all that) just enjoy the scenery on this one, and good...
  6. Swarms, Trap-outs, and Cut-outs
    I was getting questions and PM's on another group about Swarm Trapping so I made a video. I'm not a pro youtuber, i'm not a monetized channel, i'm just a guy in a shop, so be nice. I made this in one take, no editing so it's a little long...but i've covered all the basic points about building...
  7. Swarms, Trap-outs, and Cut-outs
    I have a small swarm in a trap in my yard. I took a quick peek and it looks like two or three medium frames mostly covered with bees. I'm hoping there are more out foraging. It was 1:15 pm. I'm not sure if they moved in today or a few days ago. The trap is a six frame extra deep with six medium...
  8. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Have a swarm that was sprayed before it moved into my trap. You couldn't tell there was a problem when you saw them going into the trap. The morning of day 3 they were moved into a hive. There has been major bee loss. The loss is not much as of yesterday. At least some of the bees...
  9. Diseases and Pests
    Hello A swarm moved into my trap a week ago. I moved them into their new hive last Thursday morning. Have tried to feed them - don't seem interested. I noticed something strange in the actions of the few bees on the IC where I had the feeder sitting. Some were upside down and couldn't...
  10. Swarms, Trap-outs, and Cut-outs
    I was thinking of putting a bucket with a couple quarts of syrup near 2-3 swarm traps. Has anyone tried this? Seems like it couldnt hurt ?
  11. Diseases and Pests
    Hello, Does anyone know how wax moth can be removed from hive this time of the year? The days are not warm, so I don't want to do inspection, but sticky board is suggesting that there can be a wax moth in the hive. I had a SHB trap in my hives that I removed about 1-1.5 moths ago - they had...
  12. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I have caught a late season swarm in my trap that was left up in case one of my new two hives swarmed. This is an unrelated swarm as both hives never missed a beat and are still going strong. The problem is that do not currently have any additional equipment or funds to get any more boxes...
  13. Diseases and Pests
    I have seen, someplace, a SHB trap that was plastic and multi-level. The claim was it would not get propolized by the bees... I want to try one of these but can't recall the name so am having trouble finding them. Anybody have experience with these? Ok, I finally found it here -->...
  14. Swarms, Trap-outs, and Cut-outs
    We installed our first two packages this weekend and while building the equipment last week we had scouts from somewhere checking out our hives. So in the next few days I will have newly emptied queen cages from our two packages. I was thinking I could use them to entice a swarm. I have...
  15. Swarms, Trap-outs, and Cut-outs
    I have two questions. I am going to build my first bait trap. After reading a lot of people's post I am going to use an 8 frame deep. I also live in Houston Texas. I'm going to use the lemongrass oil and some type of swarm lure. I am going to put deep frames inside(wood with dipped plastic)...
  16. Swarms, Trap-outs, and Cut-outs
    I found a almost unknown device for us but which is of a common use in every russian apiary the "Scion" - (Привой и роевня) it is a trap or a shelter to catch the swarm as early as possible without (may be) climbing trees. Can you find it here on the plan? There are many "designs" but...
  17. Diseases and Pests
    Ok, a year or so ago I was tinkering with modding some screened bottom boards on eight frame hives so I could use oil trays with them. Intheswamp's Simple Oil Tray (ISOT) was born. In case you would like to read the original thread so you have the background for this thread here a link to the...
  18. Swarms, Trap-outs, and Cut-outs
    I used to use those cylindrical type swarm traps that are made from some type of pressed paper and I would routinely catch swarms.... I have abandoned them since they don't last forever in favor of nuc boxes that last much longer. In all cases, I use lemongrass oil as a lure. I simply dab a bit...
  19. Swarms, Trap-outs, and Cut-outs
    Hi again all! I had hopes of my own swarm being caught, and moving them into a newly purchased top bar hive. I have langstroths, but looking to try something new. I posted about my swarm dilemma that happened 3 days ago, and there has been so much growth on the locust tree they flew up into...
  20. Shizel
    We are working on a new Hive Top Dual Trap to capture varroa mites and hive beetles. We are field testing soon and would appreciate your input. Check out the pictures and blog at our commercial web site at Shizel Super Hive Tool.
1-20 of 29 Results