Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-20 of 42 Results
  1. Equipment/Hardware
    Very new beekeeper here, actually I shouldn't even call myself that...whats before you actually do any bee keeping? Sorry to clutter the sight with such a basic question, but I am building my first set of frames and I cannot seem to find what the width of the groove to hold the foundation...
  2. Diseases and Pests
    I'm just getting back into beekeeping and am going to start a hive this spring. I was originally planning on purchasing wax foundation for my two deep brood supers but read somewhere that naturally drawn comb is smaller than pre made foundation and the smaller comb was somewhat helpful in...
  3. Equipment/Hardware
    Yesterday I was going through a few deeps I have stored with frames of foundation when I came across a Premier and a few others I had placed flat between two boxes. I thought since I had examples of all 3 of these I would try to take a few pics. I realize this could have gone in the recent...
  4. Member Classifieds
    330 New western honey supers for sale. 10 wood frames with plastic foundation, painted white, with cleats for hand holds. Located in Oregon. Charlie Mock Colton, Or. 503-970-8153 quailhavenb@gmail.com Delivery not available.
  5. Member Classifieds
    Asking $1,500. Produced in the USA by expert craftsmen Myron Kropf out of Arkansas around 2013/14. I specified a custom lead-free alloy for the rollers. Sadly, I wasn't able to put it to use since we closed our apiaries a year ago. It was encased and mounted by myself. It's very heavy...I...
  6. Equipment/Hardware
    I have a couple of questions about this. First, has anyone found a good way to clean old black foundation. Also, I've heard that bees won't take to old foundation no matter what. But it seems to me if they were clean and then was was brushed on it would work. I hate to throw away foundation that...
  7. Member Classifieds
    I have some left over new deep frames from Mann Lake. These are wood frames with yellow plastic foundation. (100- 150) Also, 50 lbs melted down wax for sale at $5.50 per pound. David Simonson Statesville, NC 704-450-7335
  8. Beekeeping 101
    So, i’m Wondering what the strategy is for new beekeepers coming out of year one without the very precious drawn combs? When its time to super up in the spring, what is your strategy for adding boxes of foundation and getting them drawn out? This is one topic i cannot find a lot of information...
  9. Member Classifieds
    For Sale: 250 - 2 story deeps with bottom boards, 10 frame boxes on 4-way pallets, 600 Deep Boxes w/drawn comb, 400 Deep Boxes w/foundation, 2014 Ford F450 12' Bed, 1600 Swinger Forklift. Available after CA Pollination if you want them before hand we can talk. Will sell separately, but bees have...
  10. Scientific Studies / CCD / Neonics
    Hello, I am trying to figure out exactly how Housel positioning of the combs work. Unluckily I have not yet found any feral beehive and so I don't really understand how the combs are positioned in nature. What I do not understand is this: If I look at a comb against a source of light, I can see...
  11. Want To Buy
    Looking for a used foundation mould , roller or press, need Dadant jumbo size but will consider others
  12. Equipment/Hardware
    Hello friends- Just came across about 150 deep frames with split tops and split bottoms; no foundation. What foundation do I buy and how do I install/assemble? Thanks in advance!
  13. Beekeeping 101
    Hey guys, sorry if this is a dumb question. But I've got a few colonies that where from cutouts last year. Because i put wild comb into brood frames, the comb is all horribly uneven, with cross comb and double layers on one frame, ridiculous amounts of drone cells, etc... So now what i want to...
  14. Equipment/Hardware
    Hi - doing some planning for next year and would like to produce some comb honey using shallow supers. Looking at Mann Lakes website, they have this super thin wax foundation available. What I am unsure of is what type of frame is best to use with this? There's so much choice, grooved, wedged...
  15. Diseases and Pests
    I've got 8 boxes of new, medium wax foundation - still in the box. Thought I would be smart and store it in my basement - but the boxes are all infested with silverfish. The foundation is undamaged. So - how to get rid of the silverfish??? I thought it might be best to just freeze all of...
  16. General Bee Forum Discussions
    So I took some of last years frames that had gotten wax moth damage and froze them - after freezing rather than just give them directly back to the bees I changed my mind because the wax just didn't look very good and scraped the tops off - I then gave them back to the bees but they are either...
  17. Equipment/Hardware
    I'm hoping for some explicit guidance on how I might be able to get a few hives converted to small cell foundation. I have been happy with my overwinter survival rates since I started using oxalic acid vaporization and northern-adapted queen bees (9 for 9 this past winter in New Haven, CT). My...
  18. Commercial Beekeeping
    All- Sure would appreciate some guidance and experience. Have been super busy expanding this year - large for me small for most of you - but I ended up building several hundred supers in anticipation for my splits. We've had a super wet spring and alot of my staged boxes ended up getting wet...
  19. Beekeeping 101
    Hello all. I have a couple of questions, hence the 'dual' title and hope there's some good advice :) out there... My hives are doing well now in SC and I've already pulled my honey. Not as much as I'd hoped, but left some for them also. In most of my hives, which consist of 2 deep brood...
  20. Beekeeping 101
    Hello all, Bought my first two nuc's last Sunday and have been feeding sugar water since. My question is I can look up through the bottom screen board and see that the bees are still on the original frames and was wondering when they will move to the foundation frames and start drawing comb in...
1-20 of 42 Results