Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-16 of 16 Results
  1. Beekeeping 101
    4 hives 2nd year beekeeper- I don't like clutter and carry that housekeeping into my beekeeping. Do you let them build comb and brood under the bottom of the frame or do you cull it (1-2 inches)? It's mostly drone brood that I can see and scattered cups but no capped queen cells. I have been...
  2. Beekeeping 101
    4 hives- 2nd year beekeeping- One out of 4 hives is more protective during inspections so I built a Quiet Box to keep them calmer and to see if it made a difference. Watched YouTube videos by Billy Davis and built one out of a nuc box and scraps and painted the inside black. Did a full...
  3. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I've decided to create a new printable PDF form for hive inspections out in the yard. It also allows you to enter data directly into the PDF and then save the file so you can keep neatly typed records on your computer. No form is going to meet everyones needs, but this works for me, but I'm...
  4. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Today is an unusually warm day and I decided to check on my hive. We've had some rollercoaster temperatures lately swinging from 10 up to high 60s and more on the wet side. About a week or so ago, I noticed a large number of dead bees at the entrance, but there was still a number of them...
  5. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Temperatures are expected to soar across much of the US this weekend. Where I am temps are going to hit 97 on Saturday. Other than the fact that it can be incredible uncomfortable to inspect in such temperatures, is there a point where beekeepers just decide to leave the bees alone? Also, is it...
  6. Beekeeping 101
    I see a contradiction in beek resources re: how to begin frame inspections (I'm new to beek). Most say to remove frame #1 to put aside and then examine all the other frames before replacing frame #1. I've also seen, though, some say to remove frame #2 first instead of #1. The reason was...
  7. General Bee Forum Discussions
    This particular hive was swarm arrived Easter morning. Always tried to go in at the top of the trap, so I assume feral. Any smoke on their hive makes them come boiling out aggressive. They are not aggressive at other times - just when the smoke is around them. Not my other swarm or other 2...
  8. General Bee Forum Discussions
    When do people normally dewinterize their hives: remove quilt boxes, wrappings and perform their first full hive inspections? I managed to overwinter both my hive and Nuc this winter and am wondering when to do these things. Temperature has fluctuated somewhat here in downstate NY and there's...
  9. Commercial Beekeeping
    I'm an amateur beekeeper, so I lack a commercial perspective. I've searched the Internet and this forum, but I'm not finding what I'm looking for. I would like to know two things: 1) How much effort do commercial beekeepers put into doing hive inspections, and 2) Is there any labor savings in...
  10. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Just looking for feedback while its still in beta. We'll take it out of beta August 1st (Hive Tracks 2nd birthday). Scan this to get there quickly:
  11. Beekeeping 101
    I was consistently checking each frame of my brood chamber at least every week through most of Spring and Summer. Now that Fall is here, the temps are dropping and the bees a bit more testy, I have stopped going into the brood chamber so much. In fact, I may just check a frame or two and sort of...
  12. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Hi When I did my springtime inspection I discovered brood comb had been built between the bottom and top deep. I removed each frame,cleaned them and replaced them in the same sequence. Yesterday I inspected the hives a found a couple had honey comb built between the bottom and top deep. The bees...
  13. General Bee Forum Discussions
    When I inspect frames for brood patterns, honey, pollen or whatever I find it difficult to see anything because of all the bees covering the comb. I have found that if I blow gently on the bees they do clear out a very small area, but it's impossible to get a good look at the overall landscape...
  14. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Just a friendly reminder to start the 2011 season out right with Hive Tracks. Take a virtual (or literal) snapshot of what your hives were like at the start of the season. It will make a big difference in your ablility to predict, prepare, react and improve over the coming months.
  15. General Bee Forum Discussions
    It’s been a while since I was here so wanted to let everyone know what has been going on with Hive Tracks. We've added major new functionality we’re calling Hive Tracks 2.0: • Personalized Google Map with 1, 2 and 3 mile radius rings around your bee yards. When you view the map in satellite...
  16. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Hi All - My name is Mark Henson. I'm a software developer and beekeeper in the western mountains of NC. I've been working for almost 2 years on a new online application for beekeepers. Hive Tracks (www.hivetracks.com) will have its official launch and débuted at the Eastern Apicultural Society...
1-16 of 16 Results