Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-20 of 40 Results
  1. Beekeeping 101
    It is the second of February. Today it was sunny and the temperature went up to 45 Fahrenheit here in NY. I decided to do a quick inspection and take advantage of the nice weather. I took the top cover off and there was a pile of bees clustered in the inner cover hole. I smoked them and then...
  2. Diseases and Pests
    I've searched and searched but have not found any answers to my question regarding doing inspections while Apiguard is in place. Should I continue to do weekly inspections while using Apiguard? I placed the first dose last Tuesday and took a peek and noticed they had removed or it had...
  3. Beekeeping 101
    First year beekeeper here. So I've stripped my supers and reduced my hives down to one broad box in anticipation of getting it ready for winter. I've been feeding my bees 2:1 sugar water and have about 2.5 gallons into each hive so far. I have a ton of bees in my hives to the point I'm...
  4. Beekeeping 101
    Hi There! I am a newbie bee keeper and I have my great uncle teaching me the craft. I just installed my Nuc last weekend in a 10 bar hive and started feeding them. I am planning on inspecting them tomorrow or monday.. but I noticed there was some odd comb being made on the top frames (making...
  5. Beekeeping 101
    Hi, How do you guys manage bees during inspection so as not to kill any or alot? I find it really hard not to kill any especially upon putting the frame back in when the frame has leaked some honey or when for some reason the slot I pulled the frame out from gets filled with many bees. In...
  6. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Did a hive inspection last weekend to check up on the girls. They seem to be doing well! My question is I have 3 deeps on the hive right now 2 deep bodies for the brood area and 1 for honey (that's a story for a different time), brood has dwindled down to half of 3 frames on both bodies so about...
  7. Warre and other Compact Vertical Hives Forum
    So I put a package of bees in a Warre hive about a week ago. The box had angled bars and everything but, of course, my bees had other plans and they are pretty cross combed. They are not showing any bad signs. Good action in front of the hive and the building is going smoothly.(I have viewing...
  8. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I just did my first inspection on a swarm that I Hives a week ago tomorrow. Lots of nectar and pollen, almost 5 full frames in fact. Lots of bees going and coming as well, so that is awesome! However, I couldn't locate the queen and there were also no eggs. Should I be concerned? Thanks in advance!
  9. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Hello! I'm currently in FL and listening to Tropical Storm Colin outside. Today was rainy, yesterday was rainy, and it looks like all next week is going to be cloudy/rainy (maybe not a constant downpour, but at least daily scattered thunderstorms.) My hive is about two months old and is doing...
  10. General Bee Forum Discussions
    After removing frames from supers to get the the next super for inspection or removing honey how long takes it take for the hive residents to get back to their normal work day? Has a study ever been done? Due to me being unable to lift a super full of frames every time i go into the hive I must...
  11. The Queen & Bee Breeding
    This may be better posted in another category, not sure... On Sunday, it was time to try my first two deep 10 frame inspection. First thing I noticed was "bearding" all over the front and the bottom of the hive. I popped the lid and there were bees everywhere. They just started congregating...
  12. Top Bar & Horizontal Hive Forum
    When I open the top bars bees come crawling out all over the place. I can brush some back in. However many just stay on top of the bars when I place all the bars back in position. I figure they will find their way between the roof space to the entrance again. Is it correct to think that way? It...
  13. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Here is a link to a VERY pic heavy album of my inspection 2 days following a swarm that I wasn't able to capture. There is NO open brood and although my husband didn't grab a pic of it I believe there is still a capped swarm cell in the hive. I am feeling REALLY out of my depth as a second year...
  14. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Hi everyone. I've got a booming hive that wintered really well, and even after doing a split it's still cast a few swarms. I've captured two of them. The swarm from today had two queens in it - for now the ball is hanging tight and setting up shop in a spare nuc. But now I've got questions...
  15. Beekeeping Meetings and Classes
    Denver, Colorado - An "Average Joe’s” Guide to Beekeeping - A Hands-on Workshop Serie An "Average Joe’s” Guide to Beekeeping - A Hands-on Workshop Series If you have an interest in bees, pollination and/or the environment, are new to beekeeping or just thinking of bee-coming a beekeeper and...
  16. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Since a plague of honey bee disappearances dubbed Colony Collapse Disorder became known in 2006, the number of registered beekeepers in Florida has almost quadrupled to 3,500. Dave Westervelt, chief apiary inspector for the Florida Department of Agriculture, attributes the beekeeping boom to...
  17. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Folks, I found a 2010 thread on this subject, but it wasn’t very specific, so I’ll post this. I had a hive swarm on 6/8, and I wanted to know if it had been able to get a queen raised, mated, and back to the hive. The hive is a double deep configuration. I decided to inspect. I started by...
  18. Beekeeping 101
    The purpose of this post and the posts that follow is to share my inspection notes. This hopefully will allow other other beginners such as myself to reference their hives against mine and allow me to get more feedback and advice on my hives. For my second inspection, I thought I would...
  19. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Hello everyone, i was looking for a Beekeeping Progress Calendar that lets me write down everything after inspecting my bees. I am a user of HiveTrack, and they have done a good job. They web site is really good but that's all. I don't think everyone can use an online platform that requires...
  20. Top Bar & Horizontal Hive Forum
    Hi all, I have a few videos of my TBH if your interested in taking a look please visit https://www.facebook.com/noahsarkbeekeeping or take a look at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKURPuz1jEu8nBzCU04P8hQ Thanks Have a great day!! Luke
1-20 of 40 Results