Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-20 of 70 Results
  1. New Member Introductions
    I just got my first hive today!! Any tips I should be aware of??
  2. Beekeeping 101
    I checked my bees yesterday, no biggy went well, I am 100% certain that I put everything back together correctly. I left for about 3-4 hours and when I came home I had a gut feeling to go check my hive. And even from across the pond between my house and my bees I could see that the hive was...
  3. Diseases and Pests
    I recently requeened a hive because the old queen wasn’t laying well and the hive was struggling. The new queen has really done well and I’m seeing the hive build back up in numbers and Brood/eggs looking good as of last week. But when I checked yesterday I noticed a few cells that appeared...
  4. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I'm a new (this is my second year) beekeeper in Central Portugal. I've looked at various methods for moving hives and I haven't seen this and wanted comments. Workers have a memory of the hive location that fades over time (let's say over 4 days). Could you move a hive in the evening, say 50...
  5. Equipment/Hardware
    Building Hives from Scratch. Join Jake and Dan in the woodshop as they start with lumber and transform them into hive bodies :D Entertaining and mildly informative. The perfect mix! https://youtu.be/gLK-kzX8iyU
  6. Swarms, Trap-outs, and Cut-outs
    We got a call yesterday from someone who had a tree cut down. There were bees in 2 sections. We collected both chunks of the tree trunk that had bees. Don't know which one has the queen (if there still is one). How can we get the bees and comb safely into a hive box? Thanks
  7. Diseases and Pests
    Hey guys! I had to make memes about hive beetles for my ENG 471 class lol. So I'm posting them here! Let me know if you like them! :)
  8. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Hi all! I'm a college student currently in an engineering design course, and for our semester-long design project, my group and I have decided to try to design a modified beehive that makes the process of collecting honey and monitoring bee health more efficient and convenient for commercial...
  9. New Member Introductions
    Hey there I'm Isaac, straight to the point, I'm here to pick the minds of those who work with bees. I'm an inventor / tinkerer and have an idea that would allow beekeepers to keep Japanese giant hornets from invading hives. I wanted to try running my thoughts by those who are part of the...
  10. Swarms, Trap-outs, and Cut-outs
    I went on vacation for two weeks, came home, and a swarm moved into an unoccupied Langstroth hive, which contained 10 frames without foundation. I opened the hive and the bees are doing great, they are drawing comb like crazy, but everything is interconnected with cross comb. It appears that...
  11. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I’m going to establish an 8 frame all medium hive in early May in central Tennessee. I’ll be using a 3 lb package and will be installing on new wood frames with new wax foundation. My question is, should I install the package into one 8 frame medium, let them get established and then soon add...
  12. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Hello, I'm very very green at all of this (had family that kept bees, but I've never done it myself). Probably the easiest way to explain the situation I'm in would be to watch this video I took: This tree had a hive in it for over a decade near my home. It partially collapsed early Sunday...
  13. Member Classifieds
    I will have 4 frame nucs ready early April with 2018 laying queen. Queens in nuc will be carniolan. Bring your own equipment and I will reduce $10 each nuc. 1-49 $140 50+ $125 Call or email me for more information. Noel Tinoco 530 923-0942 Powerbee12@hotmail.com
  14. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I captured a swarm about 45 day ago. They appear to be doing well and are producing a lot of honey but, no brood to be seen. There is one problem, I let an area of 4 frames developed naturally into one clump and is very hard to inspect. The rest of the hive has frames with wax forms. I have...
  15. Splits/Combines
    Hey guys, I have a new colony on the way but have a hive from last year with frames full of honey and everything else that my old colony was in. I did not harvest the honey from last year due to a few different reasons. Anyway... my question is can I introduce my new colony into the existing...
  16. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I just did my first inspection on a swarm that I Hives a week ago tomorrow. Lots of nectar and pollen, almost 5 full frames in fact. Lots of bees going and coming as well, so that is awesome! However, I couldn't locate the queen and there were also no eggs. Should I be concerned? Thanks in advance!
  17. Equipment/Hardware
    Hello everyone! My name is Christopher and this is my first post on Beesource. I live on the south shore of Massachusetts, and my friend and I have decided to start our first beehive together. We've decided to go natural and use a Kenyan Top Bar hive. The hive is 24 bars long. Made it to...
  18. Member Classifieds
    I have 3 frame nucs most nucs are two frames of brood and one honey. The nuc has been treated for mite. The queens are carnoilan. They are availble now so if you have any questions feel free to give me a call. Noel Tinoco (530)923-0942 powerbee12@hotmail.com
  19. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Have nasty hive. Always was. Was building swarm cells so I did a 3 way split in hopes the daughters will be better while I wait for my nice hive to get big enough to raise some queens for those hives. Daughters should be laying by now. Understand their temperament is unknown at this time...
  20. Where To Buy . . .
    Does anyone have a source of one man bee hive lifts that will allow you to pick up a whole hive stack or less? I have looked at one from Slovenia and Sweden, but the Slovenian Company does not sell in the USA. http://www.apihelfer.eu/en http://www.hivelifter.com/the_hive_lifter_003.htm looks...
1-20 of 70 Results