Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-20 of 74 Results
  1. New Member Introductions
    Hi All, I'm a brand new member and haven't started a hive yet. But I've been doing a lot of research. I have a relatively small space (so, backyard beekeeper) in a wooded setting in central Wisconsin (zone 5b) (see my profile pic and attached - the hive will be placed near the bushes by the...
  2. New Member Introductions
    Hi Everyone, So happy to have this community & resource. I'm a relatively new beekeeper (having rented for 3 years) and now diving in to my own Top Bar (TJ Carr). I installed my bees from Zia Queens this last Saturday and they are already bringing in pollen. I'm a UX Designer by day and a...
  3. Top Bar & Horizontal Hive Forum
    Hi, I am newbie. I built a top-bar hive and put bees in it a week ago. I made an inspection yesterday and saw that the bees have been busy and started building combs on multiple bars. I also saw that a comb has fallen to the floor. I have no idea what I should do about it. Any suggestion...
  4. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Hello all, Fairly new beekeeper here. A few years ago, I tried to save a colony fallen from a tree into a top-bar box (details in this thread) and was unfortunately unsuccessful. I have since moved into town where I can't safely keep bees, and the box was unceremoniously dumped in a field on my...
  5. Top Bar & Horizontal Hive Forum
    Put swarm into a KTBH this spring. Gave them 4 combs of honey from my freezer, added furthest from entrance. They were growing slowly (built about 5 combs in a month) so I added 3 empty bars between the brood nest and honey. A week later seeing they had put nectar into at least one of those...
  6. General Bee Forum Discussions
    My package bees I installed in my top bar hive balled their queen last month. I tried putting in a frame of eggs from another hive to raise a new queen, but I ended up with laying workers who then killed the new queen they raised. I've left it alone pretty much since then...just over a month...
  7. Splits/Combines
    Hi, I have a hive that I think I'll be able to split in the next couple of weeks, and the hive that I'd like to put them into is only about 4ft away, and oriented in the same direction. I'm curious if this is too close, and if the workers that are heading out to forage will just go back into...
  8. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I have several hives that were attacked by some animal, probably a skunk or raccoon. The animal was big enough to get the top off my top bar hives, open them up, and eat a lot of bees, honey, and comb, but small enough to get into the hive because there's poop in it. Anyway, only one is dead...
  9. Top Bar & Horizontal Hive Forum
    I was toying with the idea of a long langs, with foundationless frames. I want to do this for several reason. One being that I won't have to worry as much about burr comb, breaking comb, and a more uniformed comb. I also would like it because I can mite check easier, and have some universal...
  10. Splits/Combines
    Hi, I am fairly new to this. I have 2 top bar hives, one just split on its own last week and left. I checked my other one and I see queen cells. I do not want to lose half of these bees too as I have an empty Langstroth I would like to put them in. I have also one other langstroth that I just...
  11. Equipment/Hardware
    Hello everyone! My name is Christopher and this is my first post on Beesource. I live on the south shore of Massachusetts, and my friend and I have decided to start our first beehive together. We've decided to go natural and use a Kenyan Top Bar hive. The hive is 24 bars long. Made it to...
  12. Top Bar & Horizontal Hive Forum
    Hi everyone, please excuse my lack of knowledge here. Hoping you all could help me with my question. My dad recently passed away unexpectedly. Just before he died, he had built two top bar bee hives with the works--viewing windows, temperature gauges, a screen for mites, etc. He was so excited...
  13. New Member Introductions
    Hello all , i'm up in Northeast PA. I'm just getting into keeping bees . Have had an interest in it for many years, decided to give it a go this year . I am right down the road from Mann Lake in Wilkes Barre, PA . Over the past few months i've read alot and have been absorbing info from many...
  14. Top Bar & Horizontal Hive Forum
    I'm new to Bee Keeping, last year was my first year with any kind of hive. I have a Top Bar and everything went great last year until I harvested. I waited unti the end of Aug then harvested 2 of 6 capped combs. A week later I was asked for comb honey and I but I had already separated my...
  15. New Member Introductions
    Hello, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to bee keeping. Just looking for a place to ask questions and get advice. Thanks in advance for any advice given
  16. New Member Introductions
    Hi folks, I am new to bees and fascinated with learning about them. I found this forum very educational. Here's my experience with bees so far. Last weekend I bought my first 5 frame nuc and decided to transfer it to a larger box. Having seen videos of people handle bees with minimal...
  17. Top Bar & Horizontal Hive Forum
    July 5th my hive swarmed. That was the day after I returned from vacation; not exactly the welcome I was hoping for. I just installed a bee package in April The swarm landed 50 feet up a Douglas Fir. We tried in vain to knock them down. They flew off yesterday, so there is no possibility of me...
  18. Blogs, Podcasts, and Video Presentations
    Hi! I co-host a podcast Chill and Ambitious where we interview Life Innovators--people who tailor their daily desires and lifelong passions into their everyday. We were lucky enough to have Scott Jorgensen of Hercules Bees on the show. He explains how his experience with the killer bees of...
  19. Beekeeping 101
    All - I could use some advice. I have read some really good posts already but I have to ask relative to my own situation... Summary : Installed an Italian Package on 4/30. The inspection in last day showed Queen Cells developing along comb edges. Today I looked in detail and have about 4-5...
  20. Treatment-Free Beekeeping
    I installed my 2 packages of bees on the 9th of this month, released the queen the 11th, and checked this evening for brood- didn't see any! The packages were delivered to the pick up location on the 7th so they were with her for 5 days. Should I give them more time? I didn't see her but I am a...
1-20 of 74 Results