Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-19 of 47 Results
  1. New Member Introductions
    Hello all people. I’m sanketh from India. By profession I’m a Ceramic engineering working in R&D center of one the top refractory company. I’m soon going to start my own company ‘Beeni hives’ to follow my dreams of becoming a beekeeper. That’s the reason I’ve joined this great community of...
  2. New Member Introductions
    Hi All, I'm a brand new member and haven't started a hive yet. But I've been doing a lot of research. I have a relatively small space (so, backyard beekeeper) in a wooded setting in central Wisconsin (zone 5b) (see my profile pic and attached - the hive will be placed near the bushes by the...
  3. Observation Hive Forum
    I am new to beekeeping, I have wanted to start a colony for years. I am curious if I can have a full, healthy colony of only a single frame? or is this too small, if so what is the smallest colony I could have? I am limited in the space I can use and want to be able to see everything so the...
  4. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Hi there! I am looking to start an apiary at my school, Gustavus Adolphus College in St. Peter, Minnesota. We are located very close to Mankato. I was wondering if anyone in the area or even online is willing to be a sort of mentor for this process? We have never had bees on campus before, and...
  5. Treatment-Free Beekeeping
    I am living in Ava Missouri, near the center of town and the bee tree is less than 50 yard from my back door. It was about 3 years ago that I saw the first swarm come out of this tree and not knowing anything about bees I called a beekeeper to come and get them. I just happened to be home when...
  6. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I just received a brood of bees with four frames ten days ago, May 21. Within the first few days I lifted the lid twice to see the bees and add some frames. No problem. But the third time, after I had the bees a week, didn't go well. I had wanted to slide the original frames to the middle and...
  7. New Member Introductions
    Hello everyone! My name is Doug and I'm on my third year of beekeeping. Year 1, the bees suddenly started dying off in the early fall, looking wet. Year 2, the Queen died/disappeared/killed and it was so late in the summer I just let them die off. Now, spring 2019, I am beginning year 3...
  8. Beekeeping 101
    Ok - first post here so try not to pull out your stingers... New Hives; new foundation; new bees; new keeper; attending classes; looking for a mentor - I have two 10 frame deep hives that I have set up on 34 acres (alfalfa; soybeans; corn; wildflowers; etc all around for 15 mi radius)...
  9. New Member Introductions
    Hi, I started my first hive last July here in the Boston area in zone 6b. I purchased my bees from Maine and started with the installation into a 10 frame Mann Lake starter kit I purchased from Amazon. They made it through the winter and I have added another brood box and a couple of honey...
  10. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Hey everybody! So I'm sort of still in high school and exploring options right now, and I got a summer job (possibly longer but you know how the season goes for beekeepers) working for a friend of a friend. I have yet to learn many things, including the viability of beekeeping as a career. Last...
  11. New Member Introductions
    Hello everyone, I'm a 28yo happily married father of 1 in Hartsville, SC. I have been a Nuclear Auxiliary Operator for the past 5 years and spent 4 years prior as a Draftsman and 3d designer. I have decided to try beekeeping as a hobby because I think it's interesting, needed, and not very...
  12. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Hi! First time beekeeper here! I got a package back on April 26th. My bees are acting lethargic, not many coming in and out, their uncapped cells look dry. Timeline: April 16th, installed, opened candy end of queen cage. April 20th, checked on queen, she was still trapped. They'd drawn out...
  13. Beekeeping 101
    Good morning all! I am happy to announce my first 3lb package of Carniolans arrived this morning. I am at work, so my mother actually received the package for me. I plan to install them into my 8 frame hive this evening after work. There were two questions I have: This package looks different...
  14. Beekeeping 101
    Greetings all! I am new to the wonderful world of Beekeeping and am looking forward to next years season. I have taken several hands on classes as well as studied a few books and will be keeping my own hive starting in 2016. The question I have is where to place my hive. I live in a small...
  15. Beekeeping 101
    I just started beekeeping a day ago (literally) and everything seems to be going fine. I started from a (four frame) nuc and 1 frame feeder. I have a few questions, though. 1. How soon should I refill my frame feeder? I filled it up yesterday with one quart of the regular sugar syrup. 2. Can...
  16. Equipment/Hardware
    Hello! I'll be starting my first season of beekeeping here in a few months. Is it okay to have two deep supers instead of a deep super with a shallow super on top?
  17. Beekeeping Meetings and Classes
    Denver, Colorado - An "Average Joe’s” Guide to Beekeeping - A Hands-on Workshop Serie An "Average Joe’s” Guide to Beekeeping - A Hands-on Workshop Series If you have an interest in bees, pollination and/or the environment, are new to beekeeping or just thinking of bee-coming a beekeeper and...
  18. Diseases and Pests
    This question is not directed to the treatment-free beekeepers and it is not intended to stir up a debate whether one should treat or not treat. A lot of advice I have read says a beekeeper should have equipment and supplies on hand so you have them when you need them, e.g. an extra hive for a...
  19. Beekeeping 101
    Built a bunch of medium 8 frames today. I'm using all the same size for brood and supers. My back "ain't what it used to be..." We are in north Florida and want to get bees into our boxes as soon as possible. Anyone know where we can get bees at the earliest time this spring? Thanks!
1-19 of 47 Results