Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-8 of 8 Results
  1. Top Bar & Horizontal Hive Forum
    Hello, I'm five days out from an install on Saturday. I am using a Kenyan top bar hive based on the plans Michael Bush posted on his website, the entrance is based on a small gap between the front bar and the hive front wall, with lid on top. I used a piece of wood to reduce the size of the...
  2. General Bee Forum Discussions
    Dear Beesourcers, I am a month and a half into urban beekeeping and need help urgently. A hive with suspected European foulbrood had to be moved and then started being robbed. Now I'm stuck. First, the questions: 1) if you have screened an entrance to one bee width (crudely with aluminum window...
  3. General Bee Forum Discussions
    On over wintering the bees, is it best to replace that bottom .5"x.5" entrance reducer with the hole UP ____|----|____ or DOWN ----|____|---- ?
  4. Beekeeping 101
    Yesterday afternoon while watching both hives I heard an odd sound from one. The sound of an insect chewing wood is what it reminded me of. There were bees 'walking the line' along the entrance (reducer still in on the largest opening). They were doing their cleaning thing it appeared. I didn't...
  5. Beekeeping 101
    Hi I was wondering, is there any way that I can remove the pheromone produce by the bees at the old location of the hive. I would like it to be natural or organic. I do not want to use chemicals. I'm against them. I know, that I'm demanding, but I want to start an organic or natural bee company...
  6. Beekeeping 101
    Due to most bee suppliers being sold out of packages, I am getting a late start on my first hive here in KS. My bee's are set to arrive on May 11th. I have a couple of questions: How long should I feed syrup with this late installment, and should I even bother with the entrance reducer...
  7. General Bee Forum Discussions
    I put some old honeycomb out to open feed my bees, and reduced the entrances on all my hives. Most of the hives had pretty controlled activity around their reduced entrances, and didn't look like too much robbing was taking place. However, one of my stronger nucs had a pretty serious brawl going...
  8. Beekeeping 101
    Hello - Installing two packages tomorrow and here are my last minute questions: 1. screened bottom board - should i leave it with just the screen in for ventilation or pop in the piece that catches the mites until the bees get use to their new home/new northern temperatures? 2. How long...
1-8 of 8 Results