Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

JZBZ Cell Protectors?? Good or bad??

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  beenut46 
#1 ·
After dropping a couple of cells to the bottom board of my mating nucs on my first batch of cells I thought I might try these on my next mating nuc day (Sunday). I seem to recall someone (Mike Palmer??) saying that the orange cell protectors were not good for some reason but I forget exactly why. Perhaps the workers can't thin the end down enough and the queen doesn't emerge as predictably as one would like??

Pros and cons?? Or should I just get better about sticking them between the top bars without these??

#5 ·
I used about 300 this year ,dont shove the cell in too far you only need it to protect the sides of the cells where it is wax not the plastic.The reason i like to use them as I can go back later and be sure the cell hatched without looking for the queen. I put them on when i pull the cell bars and put in the incubater.If a queen then hatches early in th incubater she will not be able to harm any of the cells only any other queen that had hatched early because my old eyes grafted to old lava or i did get them put in in time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.