Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

113/4" Deep Brood Boxes

5K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  steadybrook 
#1 ·
Does anybody use these Jumbo deep boxes?

#2 ·
I bought a mess of these + an old extractor
at an auction a few years ago. I played with them a season, the bees seem to like them but you better have a spare spine as the frames are 20 + pounds each, when full.
they are difficult to move when set up as well, but its a very cool set up.
Mine look like steamer trunks, and you can manipulate the brood chamber compartment size as the season progresses.

R

#3 ·
I have about 18 hives of Langstroth dimension, and twelve of Brother Adam's dimension, all with deep frames. They work well, and where I am are great for running as singles through the winter. The queens love them, but they are harder to work as to the depth and weight. Also have to hand extract two at a time if I end up with honey clogged brood chambers as they don't fit in my radial. I also like double Langstroth for re-queening convenience. I run Jumbos, 9 1/8's and mediums. Some people would object to the inconvenience of non-interchange ability.

#4 ·
Thanks for the input,I use a jumbo, 10 frame on the bottom and 6 " on the top for the winter.They work well.I find the are easy to work.Most of the time there is honey in the 6". When a honey flow is on I put more 6"supers or Ross rounds boxes on top.I am gradually phasing out the 9 5/8" standard.
When you get 8 frames of brood in a jumbo you have quite a workforce of bees!!!

#5 ·
I just started a hive of Dadant deeps on plastic small cell foundation (with a gap at the bottom) Right now I have them in a five frame nuc but intend to end up in a double wide (32 1/2" - 22 frames). That would be my brood nest and winter feed and I'll super on top of and/or behind that with mediums. I have a screened bottom board that is the width of three boxes (over 48"). I can't say how well they will do yet.
My theory is to NEVER lift a box of Dadant deeps.

#9 ·
Are there other Jumbo depth suppliers in the US or Canada ? I would like some other suppliers.
I get the frames from Western, the foundation from Dadant, and found square excluders at Sweinty.

#10 ·
I pulled six of my square medium depth supers this afternoon. One hive had chimneyed and I got off easy. The other hive had two full ones and they were back breakers. I made my Brother Adam size hives in 1978, never thinking about that I would get old and feeble. I remember back then a friend said we should make all of our honey supers, comb super depth.... in a few nore years I will start to realize he was right way back then.

#11 ·
Why not make them half width and put two wide on top. The bees will fill them just the same. I've done this two ways. One is just make them half width. The other is to cut a notch on the bottom on the inside walls so they can communicated between the two sides. They would weigh half as much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.