Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Hives and pets. Can we all get along?

7K views 18 replies 18 participants last post by  HTC 
#1 ·
I've done some searching on the site and have come up empty handed on whether deciding to start a hive in my backyard has any bearing on the type/number of pets I have. So, is this just unspoken common sense that I can have my dogs, cat and honeys as well? The bees who visit my yard in the spring and summer do not seem to bother me or my furry companions, but having a hive in the yard is another story...to me, anyway. :s

After much research from you wonderful folks, I am leaning towards a Lang hive. Should I lift it further from the ground to prevent curious doxies from bothering it? Tinkling on it? :no: Is there a recommended height that I should start with? Kitties from climbing it?

I have much to learn still before even thinking of purchasing any needed equipment, let alone bees, but this is my first real concern before I can even think about having a hive... perhaps, after reading one of the posts, maybe a few stings will help with the arthritis one has... ;)

Thanks for any input.

~Circ

#2 ·
We've got a number of cats that roam around our yard (my wife feeds them cause she's a softy :)). They've never bothered the hives that I saw, and I think they're pretty smart, so are dogs. I've not seen any of them get stung, but I imagine once they take a sting or two they'll learn pretty quickly not to bother the bees, and in all likelihood that's all they'll take, 1-2, if they do try to investigate to closely. Like most, you'll probably be putting your hive(s) at a spot in the yard that's not used a whole lot. That will help keep their curiosity at bay. Don't worry, it'll be fine.

#5 ·
Thanks a bunch. That eases my worries a bit, and indeed, we do have a fully functional doggie door. :)

I live in a historic residential area and I've searched my local zoning for anything about keeping or not keeping bees and can't seem to find anything about it, (besides there's a hive one block over), so...with my hubby convinced this is an excellent idea (probably just so he has a reason to put up another camera on his weather station) I'm going to continue my research and start making plans.

Thanks again for the input. It is greatly appreciated.

~Circ

#6 ·
I have an indoor/outdoor cat. I have top bar hives with peaked roofs but I have seen him laying on the roof sunning or sitting and surveying his domain (aka hunting mice around the wood pile). I have also spied him drinking from the bee's water fountain. They don't seem to bother him at all. I have a cat door to my screen patio so he could get to shelter if he needed though. I usually try to remember to shut him inside while I do inspections because he likes to be right with me if I am outside and tends to jump up onto the hives to get closer. Yikes!

The only time I saw them get after him was when I opened the hives up real quick a few weeks ago to take some pictures of candy board bars and had left him outside. The girls were a bit testy that day due to the temperature and I think we both got our first stings (I know I got one anyway). I saw them buzzing his face as he sauntered over to see me. He just shook his head, huffed a little, and streaked about 20 feet away towards the patio. The bees let him go and I finished as quick as I could. He didn't have a reaction if he did get stung. I wonder if he will give the hives a greater berth this spring.

By the way, most people recommended having a minimum of two hives so that you have resources if there is a problem. I found that to be true and now have two.

#7 ·
I have an indoor/outdoor cat. I have top bar hives with peaked roofs but I have seen him laying on the roof sunning or sitting and surveying his domain (aka hunting mice around the wood pile). I have also spied him drinking from the bee's water fountain. They don't seem to bother him at all.
+1.

My cat seems to like the view from there. Maybe she uses it as a "fort" to fend off our dogs. :) They don't seem to be much bothered by the bees either, BTW.

#10 ·
My dogs catch hornets in their mouths. I was not real concerned about the addition of bees. So far no problem after the initial curious sniff got them a sting on the nose. The dogs do tend to snap at the bees and then get yelled at my me. they are figuring it out. Hornets yes. bees no.

#13 ·
I have 4 hives in a residential area. They are in my front yard as my back yard is very steep. I was a little concerned about introducing 1/4 million bees into a residential area, but all has worked out well. You would think that my front yard would be full of bees, but it doesn't work that way. They go where the nectar is...and a 3 mile foraging area is a lot of area. My neighbors are actually enjoying watching my bees as they pass by in their cars...sometimes they are really buzzing around, sometimes they are bearding and I've heard no complaints from them, except the people who don't mow their yard very frequently and the bees are on their clover and they are barefoot!
My dog got stung once that I saw and now he keeps his distance. His only problem has been this winter, when the days are warm enough for the bees to come out, they take over his water bowl. They never did this in the summer, but do now. They usually go down to the lake, but the bowl is a lot closer I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.