Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Bee Shield

150K views 182 replies 57 participants last post by  Oldtimer 
#1 ·
I went to the south dakota beekeepers meeting and one of the presenters was the creator of a product called Bee Shield. I was wondering if anyone has tried it. He claimed some wild almost unbelievable things as to protecting bees from viruses and pesticides.

#3 ·
May 7, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Hello,

I am reaching out to you because of our common interest in the livelihood of bees, and our food supply. We have been very successful and proud to have a 100% organically certified solution called Bee Shield, to protect and nutritionally support bee colonies. I want to share with you Bee Shield’s benefits. We have been helping other beekeepers and farmers, and the results are very impressive in the following ways:

* Protects against black queen cell virus
* Increased viral resistance
* Increased production
* Increased nutritional uptake
* Protects against pesticides (systemic pesticides)
* Increased parasite resistance
* Field results show 99% effective

Bee Shield comes in a spray that is applied directly onto the working bees. There is also a concentrated solution that is sprayed at the opening of the beehive that the bees love (no sugar added). And, we have added a spray for hobbyists.

Your feedback is important to us. I may also put you in touch with our Beekeeper.

Frankie Perez
Sales
1st Light Trading, LLC
909 520-5064
Frankie@1stlighttrading.com

#22 ·
Bee Shield comes in a spray that is applied directly onto the working bees.
wouldnt Oxalic acid spray do the same thing, by controlling the mites?

*Protects against black queen cell virus
* Increased viral resistance
* Increased production
* Increased nutritional uptake
* Protects against pesticides (systemic pesticides)
* Increased parasite resistance
* Field results show 99% effective

#4 ·
.....but wait, there's more. Order in the next 20 minutes and receive a second shipment of amazing Bee Shield absolutely free, you will only be billed for shipping and handling......

#8 ·
Other beekeepers do use it, we are getting scientific testing completed in next few weeks from today which I know was a little off from what i said at the show, but science is never exact. I didn't bring any with me as I'm from California and couldn't bring it on plane they took my wine and honey the SDBA gave me on the way back. Plus you should keep track of our website as it always has our updates and will post findings of science study. www.1stlighttrading.com and I can give you numbers of people who use it and love it. I will see you guys at next years show which it would be nice to go to South Dakota again its beautiful there and tell John Stollis thanks for the candy it was delicious.

#140 ·
Dear Bee Shield, you say, "...but science is never exact."
Quite to the contrary. That is exactly what science is - exact. Just making such a statement induces me to question your understanding of science and the scientific method.
I read your claims... in the other post. Not one substantiated statement. Just claims.
Sorry. I'll be happy to believe (and buy) when I see the data.

#9 ·
I used to have a marine aquarium which grew fish of course but also live corals, shellfish and other organisms.

These things live by extracting stuff from the water so you have to dose an array of products into the tank to keep everything healthy. There is some heavy duty study and time involved in running one of these tanks properly and many nubees start but fail.

All long time reef tank owners become aware of the good and bad products but for nubees it's a minefield. After quite a few years in the hobby I started getting a feel for sassing if a product is genuine.

This has given rise to a whole industry of questionable aquarium products for sale. They are sold in shops because the claims are so ill defined and the science explained but never fully, that even the shop owners struggle to sort out what is and isn't genuine.

Only 1/2 hour before reading this post I was reading our local bee mag is advertising a product that to me, looks like snake oil. Then, I come to this thread and see another. I think it's starting to happen in the bee world.

#10 ·
I think it would have been worth the $25 bag fee to bring some to the meeting and then you could have checked the honey and wine for the return trip. Surely you are aware of the 3oz carryon limit. You could have carried on a sample size or if checked, a larger size and left it for some folks to try out. I give away free samples of my honey as its a quality product. Once tasted, I have a customer.

#11 ·
No i was not aware of the 3 oz limit it was my first flight in around 20 years, so I got to learn the hard way. Gentleman I know that this product is so far from the norm that it sounds like snake oil as there is nothing on the market that claims to control pesticides, but the product will speak for itself in time as you begin to hear more from it and the scientific studies continue you to grow I am not just in this to get to your pocket books as I have a love for the bee and Honey especially honey. At a point in time in reference to your coral reef comment- Man once thought the world was flat and it was a crime punishable by death for saying otherwise yet people did, people said that man would never fly, yet here we are thanks to the wright brothers determination against all odds, I understand that it is an uphill battle gentleman and I still have some hoops to jump through which I am willing to do, not only to help the industry regain its ability to grow again but to ensure that younger generations know what its like to have choice in foods and the sweet success of honey

#15 ·
but the product will speak for itself in time as you begin to hear more from it and the scientific studies continue you to grow
Please reference some of these scientific studies that are continuing to grow, that will put this matter to rest.

That is of course, unless in reality there are no scientific studies.

Back to my marine aquarium experience, hearing from others who claim success often turns out to be meaningless. A guy was for years selling a very high priced product and publishing glowing user reviews. Some had their doubts though and eventually had the product tested. It was water with a little food colouring and sugar.

Being light on science but claiming people who do not tow the line are akin to flat earthers, can't accept anything new, etc, is another thing that rings bells for me in my experience with purveyors of snake oil.

Not saying your product is snake oil, just, that the language, presentation, and claims, push all the right buttons.

The science you speak of, let's see it.

And oh. You are not going to say you cannot reveal the science because it's secret. Are you.

#12 ·
“If the genius of invention were to reveal to-morrow the secret of immortality, of eternal beauty and youth, for which all humanity is aching, the same inexorable agents which prevent a mass from changing suddenly its velocity would likewise resist the force of the new knowledge until time gradually modifies human thought.”Nikola Tesla

#14 ·
i already treat, medicate, lavish my hives with several other natural products and chemicals. would your product be duplicating any of these? beekeepers want to be completely aware of what they are putting in their colonies. if i just trusted the claims my kids would be having rich chocolaty Ovaltine for supper tonight. justin

#16 ·
As i stated in my original thread the studies are to be completed in a week or two, as being a new company I don't have the giant financial resources to pay for $20,000 tests from multitudes of researchers, it is through open minded beekeepers that know these scientists that are helping me accomplish these tests, as they understand that a closed mind doesn't allow for progress and it takes risk to gain innovation, I can understand how lately all kinds of people have been coming up with the answer to problems and beekeepers have been burned on it several times, so I know beekeepers are becoming more cautious, even though it has been show that using nosema treatment and mite treatments leave residues and harm the bees themselves, but they are still being used in some cases doing more harm then good, I am not being light on science I can tell you exactly how the product works and why in a fairly complicated scientific manner, but i see that in some cases I have a brick wall to break down as I already stated the independent scientific studies are coming, but it seems that's not what is read what is read is the attempt to show that I have some malicious agenda towards bees and the keepers that I am here to just rob you guys blind and move on to the next victim
, so as I said the tests are almost done and yes more are being performed even after these results come out which is what I mean by the statement that they are growing as I am trying to get into the South Dakota's program to show how Bee shield effects hive strength and tolerance to the outside factors that have been harming this industry. So I ask you gentleman to be patient and I will remove all of these concerns in time as I love science and the way it is methodical and ever changing we used to do bleeding and consume mercury for longevity we learn from mistakes to move forward and I feel that a mistake I hope that some don't make is the belief that I'm not here for the long haul.I believe that nature provides a cure for everything.

Friends are as companions on a journey, who ought to aid each other to persevere in the road to a happier life.
Pythagoras
the first man to say the world was round

The oldest, shortest words - 'yes' and 'no' - are those which require the most thought.
Pythagoras

#17 ·
OK, so as I suspected, the truth, is there are no scientific studies.

I am not being light on science I can tell you exactly how the product works and why in a fairly complicated scientific manner
Please go ahead. It would need to be better than what passes for science on your web site though. What is on your web site is not science, it is a bunch of claims, without evidence or proof, dressed up to look like science.

Beeshield, if I invented a bee health product and put it on the market, it would be backed by solid scientific data showing that it works as claimed. If I couldn't do that, I wouldn't put it on the market.

#18 ·
Old Timer, the only person on BeeSource who's opinion matters to me, whether it be graftless queen rearing, beekeeping, or pointing out snake oil salesmen...
Cheers mate :)

I thought the same thing when I saw the thread but hey, we all have to try lol

#19 ·
Where are the credentials? Any advanced degrees? I mean one would think that in order to make a product that protects an insect from insecticides one would need some type of advanced study behind them. Assuming you are the inventor and not a hired salesman.

"it is through open minded beekeepers that know these scientists that are helping me accomplish these tests"
Got any names?

How many bee hives have you ever owned?

On a forum ones credibility is usually directly contributable to their number of posts, unless they introduce themselves and provide a summary of their credentials. I see nut'en but four posts (all on this thread).

#20 ·
Beeshield: You may well have developed a pretty good product, at this point I wouldn't know. My advice to you, though, is ratchet back the hyperbole a bit. Present your field trials, or whatever data you have for what they are which are, most likely, promising results and encourage folks to give it a try. I mean what the heck does 99% effectiveness really mean? I wouldn't be surprised if ole Pythagorus would have given you the same advice. :D

#30 ·
My first line is bees that are not just in good health. but prime health. that goes further than anything else. I have always found is true no matter what animal it is I am caring for. I tend to take action not when colony is sick. but when it is no longer exceptional. I don't have diseases in my colonies. Twice I have had to deal with varroa in bees that came outside of my apiary. Both cases where treated with OA. The colony was then monitored closely to bring it up to full health. I have also once had tracheal mites in one of my colonies. again in the first bees I purchased. again I treated. Colonies that have declined I consider unacceptable but have never observed mites or any other disease. I would not be surprised to find out that varroa had gotten a foot hold in weakened hives. but restoring the hive to strong health I believe solves any temporary infestation.
I do not believe you need to treat or apply anything to bees that are strong and healthy. It is what I attribute the success of some treatment free beekeepers to. no need to treat healthy bees. Treatment free is more of a side result.

#33 ·
Daniel Y overwintered 4 hives, and now has 17 hives, and apparently an attitude.
It is now 17 and climbing. And no I do not credit numbers as evidence. If in fact Mark has 125 times the colonies I do. and requires 180 times the time to tend to them. again I am the more effective beekeeper.
Note the Mark referred to above is Mark Berninghausen, Sqkcrk. From the same thread, another comment directed at Mark B:
Maybe you need to get better at your bee work. I have no doubt my work is that much more effective.
:lpf:

(click the blue arrow in the quote box to see the quote in context in the thread)

#35 ·
It's not the monitoring that does anything. monitoring is one yard stick for everything else you do. Just as I don't think treatment free achieves anything. I don't think it is the lack of treating that causes the improvement. I do believe there is an improvement. I believe it is something more like better beekeeping that results in healthy bees that resist disease. Comments such as "There is more to it than just not treating" indicate such. If it takes more than just not treating. then just what is the not treating part accomplishing? I don't think not treating accomplishing anything. it is the result of many other things. It is evidence that those other things are effective. In the same way monitoring is not the fix. it is evidence that the fix is in fact being applied. and that fix is complicated. it is something more like bee a good keeper. It is being observant. noticing what works and what does not. developing and accuracy to your evaluations. and increasing your skill at management.

As for the quote above. that was in response to Mark claiming he worked more than 2880 hours in one day. and graham thinks that should be taken seriously. I am not kidding. He thinks mark is right. And he thinks I am a fool to say otherwise. All I can say is I am dying to see this clock Mark has.

#36 ·
As for the quote above that was in response to Mark claiming he worked more than 2880 hours in one day. and graham thinks that should be taken seriously. I am not kidding. He thinks mark is right. And he thinks I am a fool to say otherwise. All I can say is I am dying to see this clock Mark has.
Oh my ......

Here is what Mark actually said: :lpf:

By the way Y, I did more bee work yesterday than you did in the last 6 months and I still have time to take care of internet business. Just saying.
Its not clear whether DY's clock has stopped, or perhaps his calculator needs adjustment, or what exactly the problem is, but something seems amiss!

:ws:

And he thinks I am a fool to say otherwise.
:gh: :lpf:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.