Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Size of hive for pollination

5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Dan Williamson 
#1 ·
Another thread brought up a question that I've been meaning to ask. What size hive do you guys usually use for pollination? Do you usually send single deeps, two deeps, etc?

#3 ·
We run all doubles. Mainly because of food stores. We send um heavy plus it gives the bees more room to expand before swarming in the spring. I wouldn't chance a single unless you can tend them in Calf or are from there.

#6 ·
Alpha,

I'm not sending any to Cali. I'm mostly talking about local pollination, within 200 miles.
I usually use 2 deeps or the equivalent for blueberry pollination here in Indiana. I start feeding 1:1 and pollen patties Mar 1st and move them into blueberries around May1st. I usually make up nucs about mid April from these colonies or they will swarm while pollinating. Many of my colonies will have both deeps full of bees by May1st due to the two month lead time I give them with the stimulant. It is critical that you keep them supplied with feed and pollen patties at least until there are natural sources available.

Making up nucs from these colonies reduces the swarming and gives them foundation to work in the brood nest.

2 years ago I made approx 1 1/2 supers of honey per colony on blueberries. I got half that this past season due to cooler windy conditions. Strong hives will impress the growers.

I started out trying just filling in shortages when other beeks didn't have enough but when the growers saw my bees I ended up getting two different accounts when they realized that they had been getting the equivalent of packages in double deep boxes for the past number of years.

Make the extra effort and it WILL pay off!

I don't think it matters if they are doubles or story and a half.... Its the number of bees present and the pollinating work-force that makes the difference. If I have 1 1/2 story colonies I always have to have another super on top or they will plug out the bottom box and swarm before I get them home. I almost always have to make a second round of splits after they come out of blueberries.

Good luck.

#7 ·
Thank you Dan. That was great advice, and clears up lots of questions. Right now I have one contract for pumpkins, and plan to limit myself to that this year. At the moment, I'm trying to learn all I can about pollination. I don't want to dive into it without knowing what I'm doing, and what to expect. When I'm ready, I plan to get a couple trailers, and hand truck, and start small. My biggest problem has been finding a commercial, or even a sideline beekeeper who pollinates, and is close enough to me. If I could find one, I'd love to ride along and help a few times to learn all I can. Shenifield, and Howard are both too far away, and the guy that was near me in Ohio has retired and sold off all his equipment.

Anyway, thanks to all for the answers. And please keep it comming. Us new guys can use all the advice you guys can give.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.