Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Two man hive lifter

15K views 40 replies 15 participants last post by  challenger 
#1 ·
Anyone use this type of hive lifter? I just built one very similar with a few modifications.

Table Furniture

See less See more
#8 ·
Very helpful with heavy hives that have to be carried a ways especially if stairs are involved. Like MP said, once you get to the truck sometimes it is easier to remove it and load without.

#11 ·
If you have them stapled together you just go up one or two supers, some do get a little tipsy but still better than doing it by hand, to put them on the truck we stack one or two deeps below the tailgate, put them on the deeps then pick up by hand. One person I help has bad shoulders(can't lift them very high) this method works well.

#13 ·
we use one very similar to that in the photo. It's great, particularily for moving a hive in an area where there is no possibility of getting a vehicle. At our house before we moved, ground was to steep, but with two of us, using that gadget, easily carry a double deep up the hill to the vehicle.

We've never tried to move a hive with more than two deeps. When we intended to do that, we always pulled the supers first, them moved the resulting double deep with that carrying gadget.

#20 ·
>The hive carrier that I have, has a cleat that goes into the hive handle to keep it from slipping, and for positive grip

I agree, you are missing an essential part if you have hand holds only. Yours will work on a hive with cleat handles, but will slip on a hive with cut out handholds only. The commercial ones have a swollen area covered with a black stiff hose to fit into the hand holds.

#23 · (Edited)
I will go out to the shop and see if I can snap a photo of mine also.

EDIT..... I went out and took a photo, but, I have recently changed computers, and I cannot get this one to downsize a photo enough so that beesource will allow it. I will see if someone will show me how to do it with this computer. No problem on the old one, but, I can't do it on this one.

cchoganjr

#25 ·
O.K. Let me see if I can post this photo. Yes, I believe it is going to work. Now you can see the part odfrank talked about.

You beat me to it. My shop is a 20 minutes drive. And my piece of hose is black, circa 1975.
Good to see your shop is as big a mess as mine. Actually a lot less of a mess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.