Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Fire ants- please help!

5K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  brianlacy 
#1 ·
Today I placed a gallon jug of water under two legs of my hive and put the other two inside a cement mixing tray. I filled everything with water to try and create a moat to stop the ants. Later today I looked and one of the gallon jugs was just touching the back leg and the **** things had made their way to the hive again, leaving a perfect trail.

Who can tell me what to do? I may have to exterminate this fresh cut-out because the first banana boat from Sout America doomed the colony.

#6 ·
S?HoneyBee larvae. When teaching, please assume the student knows nothing. I've been researching for weeks, but couldn't quite figure this anagram. Thanks.

I tried moving the hive just 6 feet around a corner of the shed and 15 minutes later they were circling around where it was so I moved it back. I could cut the points off the legs and make it narrow enough to not touch the sides of the pan two legs are setting in, but I worried the vibration would drop the combs or stir up the bees too much. I guess it's a risk I will have to take.

#7 ·
Appreciation to all who replied. Tomorrow those darn ants are getting a sprinkling of proven ant killer. I just hope they don't win before I get there. Maybe the rain we are sure to have tonight will wash away the problem, but I'm still taking some major poison over there.

#12 ·
Sorry about the abbreviations. Yes, SHB-small hive beetles go down in the soil to mature. Part of IPM-integrated pest management I've seen is to leave the fireants alone if they aren't causing you a problem. They'll eat the SHB larvae. It's a win, if they arent' bothering your hives. Fireants don't bother my hives, its the larger ants that do. Big red ones the size of the black carpenter ant. They don't seem to pick up the amdro like the fireants do. Yes, Orthene would work, but after losing some to sevin dust, I freak out about any kind of powder or dust around the hives. I use both amdro and orthene on mounds in the garden, with good success.

#13 ·
I just MURDERED the little creeps with poison after I found a clutch the size of a quarter on a top bar. I made a circle all around the hive and I know this stuff works. Things are still looking pretty good inside. I'm waiting for this colony to build and progress more before I move the partition. Without seeing the queen, I feel strongly I know where she is staying at bar 3. I'm not doing a full inspection, but I plan to use the endoscope again today. Thanks everyone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.