Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

How I cut box joints with a router

10K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Jim_in_PA 
#1 ·
This is how I cut box joints for my hive bodies using a router with a pattern bit (Freud bit number 50-102 purchased on Amazon) and a box joint pattern as shown in the July/August 2012 issue of ShopNotes magazine. I made the pattern long enough to cut box joints for supers on one end and brood boxes on the other end which I made the fingers different sizes. It works great and I did not need to make any adjustments. One advantage is that lumber that is slightly cupped can be flattened with a a clamp and then the box joint cut.

http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/salesi24916/library/

#8 ·
I would like to do that but I am sure there are copyright issues that would get me into trouble. Maybe a library in your area would have a back issue or they could get it inter-library loan. I believe ShopNotes also has back issues for sale.

#7 ·
Actually you route all the way through the board into a piece of 1/4" masonite so there are not round corners. Since you are routing from the end grain of the board it gives you a nice square cut.

I tried doing the box joint on the table saw, but it is more difficult for larger boards and my dado set only cuts up to 13/16 of an inch maximum. With the router and the template, you can route any size box joint you need. My fingers on the box joint are 1-5/8" wide for the brood box and 1-5/16" supers.

#13 ·
That is a pretty cool jig, could you do it for a dovetail rather than a box joint? if I am going to use a router, and take that much time, a dovetail would certainly look like a piece of art. A half blind dovetail may even be fewer cuts.

#16 ·
Thanks for posting this. I have a dovetail machine with a box joint template that I make all of my box joints with, however I know that not everyone can have an expensive machine to to the work. I'm always on the lookout for way people without lots of machinery can make their beehives.

#19 ·
I suggest you be careful with that. One can copy, etc., for "personal use", but copyrights don't usually permit transfer/distribution to others unless specifically allowed by the copyright holder. A legal work-around solution is for someone to go to a library to copy the article for personal use if they cannot obtain an article online from the original publisher.

#18 ·
Less complicated: Wood Wood stain Plywood Table Hardwood
Don't you agree that this is way simplified and easier? Wood Plywood Floor
All you need basically is a Key that is the same size as the router bit size off set the same distance. Screw the key down and your done with the spacing. Set the height to 3/4" if that is the thickness of the wood and your golden. This took I think 15 minutes to get a template for a router made.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.