Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Ok, this is a first for me.

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Connor 
#1 ·
I went and checked some of my swarm traps. One of them I noticed had something white in it that was visible from the entrance hole. When I got real close I noticed it was the Q-tip I had used to apply the LGO, (I know Q-tips are for cleaning ears ;). I had dropped it in the back of the trap as I usually do.It looks like the scouts that I had seen earlier in the week going in and out had been trying to remove it. This to me is encouraging. But has anybody else encountered this?

#3 ·
Perhaps no one has experienced having a Q-tip partially removed by the bees, and didn't feel qualified to comment. :D

Personally, I follow the OD Frank method of LGO distribution, and put 3-4 drops of LGO directly on the wood inside the trap body. No need for Q-Tips! :gh:

#6 ·
I checked them again at about 5:30 after I had shoved the Q-tip back into the trap the last time I checked them. The bees have moved it back to the opening again. And just when you think you've seen everything the girls surprise ya.

#11 ·
I used the Q-tip in the box method earlier this season, and I didn't have a chance to get all of my swarm traps out. Then one day I used one of those nuc boxes to gather a swarm I removed with my swarm pole and took it back to my yard. Obviously it wasn't scout bees, but the next morning I noticed something white poking out of the box and finally figured out that the bees were cleaning house. Since then, I only put drops of LGO on the frames and entrance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.