Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Beekeeping Wiki - Interested?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Charles Fry 
#1 ·
If you are familiar with the Internet concept of a 'wiki', read on. If you are not familiar with a wiki - look further down this post...

I am considering the launch of a wiki dedicated to sustainable agriculture practices. As part of the topics covered, I want to include beekeeping. Would people here be interested in becoming contributors and editors to this effort? If so, please email me or visit the development site at www.FPAcres.com/agwiki

What is a Wiki?
Well, if you have heard any of the recent news about the "Wikipedia" then you know the name of the most famous wiki on the Web. (www.wikipedia.org if you are interested) A wiki is a type of web site that allows anyone to publish information - or edit existing information - about a given topic. If you think of it as a "communally developed and edited encyclopedia" you are getting close to the idea. It is a little hard to explain - go explore and see if it makes sense!

Why an AgWiki?
Agriculture - and more specifically sustainable agriculture - is a huge topic and the Internet is full of fragments of useful information on ag topics. This forum is a good example. But forums suffer from threads growing old, being lost, and never really getting the information in to "final" form. A wiki on agriculture would allow users to create topics, debate the content, and refine and edit the content. In the end (ideally), there is a generally available repository of data that is peer reviewed. Or so the theory goes.

If you are interested in this idea, let me know. This is an emerging method for organizing information contained within a community and if there is interest I will continue with this project. For all you aspiring authors out there, here is your chance to be published a few paragraphs at a time!

See less See more
#4 ·
FordGuy
Scott's Wiki is located @ http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org/

The page you found is the topbar subsection of the
Beekeeping Wikibook hosted by the Wikimedia foundation. Plenty of potential, but sadly still lacking some material (though I'm a bit biased as I started it).

Both sites could always use more information donations.

Charles C Fry, though I think it a good idea, I also think it is an idea that is spread thinly between too few a number of beekeepers. I know there exist several Wikis, only two of which have been mentioned, that are specific to beekeeping. Any extra such systems may spread existing support all too thin. It might be of the best benefit to beekeepers as a whole to concentrate on the existing ones and help out there. Find one you like the best and contribute. Scott's has a larger contributing membership, and possibly more content. The wikibook hosted by wikimedia has a potential for a larger audience (due to the scope of the wikibooks project), a larger proofing base, but it lacks content and contributers. Also, not to step on any toes, but it seems as if Scott's Wiki is more often broken.

#5 ·
Thanks! I will chase these down. I am not trying to form a competition... only test the water to see if there is enough critial mass to get this rolling. These wikis are interesting experiments in technology AND sociology... not sure if there is a large enough audience for most subjects.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.