Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Honey - when to harvest

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  butch043052 
#1 ·
How much needs to be capped
%wise ?
When can I harvest it?

#2 ·
none if you can dry it out. I used to worry about this all the time. Get a honey refractometer and test it. It needs to be about 18% or less water content. I take frames that are 100% to about 75%, then I stack boxes so air can move through them with a fan blowing on them, and run a dehumidifier in the room. I get humidity down to about 35% and temp to about 90 and honey gets nice and thick and I dont have to worry about it any more. Two or three days like this and your good to go for sure for the most part. A refractometer will tell you for sure. They are about 60 dollars online. Start by extracting you comb with a mix of capped and uncapped so you get a good average and test it right away, if its to wet, dry longer, if it 17.5 great, rock and roll testing buckets once in a while to see that your constant. Wet honey ferments.

#5 ·
Yes, that is what we are saying. Honey stored at 59% RH will equilibrate at 17.8% moisture. Optimum drying and storage conditions will therefore be at or below 58% RH. So therefore, the dryer the air the better and the warmer it is, the lower the equilibrium will be in relation to moisture content. Moving air over the frames speeds up the process. You can actually take uncapped honey using this process but it is not recommended by me. I like fully capped, 75% minimum.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/LyraEDISServlet?command=getScreenImage&oid=131504

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/aa249

#4 ·
Yes, that is what WI-Beek was saying, and I can confirm it works. I pull supers, stack them in my little box room with the dehumidifier going overnight and then extract the following day or the day after. I invested in a $300 Atago extractor, and test random open cells of honey before I extract, and as I bottle. This year it has ranged from 16.6-17.6%, plenty dry enough. When I stack them in the room I put little blocks of wood in the corners of the boxes to allow airflow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.