Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

swarm behaviour...

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  applesrus 
#1 ·
I am a new beekeeper with two purchased nucs. For 'fun' I put out a swarm trap across town on my parent's property. I caught one swarm within a week and it's hived and doing well.

A week later (earlier this week) there was another swarm in the trap. Over a 24 hour period after noticing the box was occupied, myself and my dad both saw many many bees coming and going (similar amount of activity to our stronger purchased nuc, now two 10-frame boxes of bees full)- so it appeared the box was not just their 'resting place' as I've read they form enroute to their new home.

Due to rain, children's birthdays, husband's work, etc I didn't get over there until last night to collect and hive the swarm and Poof! No bees except two little shivering workers at the entrance

So I'm thinking the adage "you snooze you lose" is true and if I'm lucky enough to catch a 3rd swarm I'll be collecting it pronto...however in the meantime I'm curious for any insight as to why they would reject the trap after initially appearing to choose it on their own. Also - how far would they likely be able to relocate after having swarmed to one location, stayed for at least one day without any honey stores, then left for their second 'move'?

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
applerus....What you saw might not have bee a swarm, but the scouts for an impending swarm. Keep checking.

I have been fooled twice this year. I arrived at the traps, observed the bees coming and going, what appeared to be guard bees on the front. I got frames ready to fill the swarm trap, (I always use two drawn combs, two foundation, frames against one side of the 10 frame deep), (put on my veil) opened the top, only to find perhaps 100+ bees. In both cases, came back a week later, and Voo..La.. a swarm had moved in.

Keep checking.

cchoganjr

#4 ·
Hmmm..thanks Cleo - that would be great if there is one on the way! Seeing as I had no equipment with me when I first saw all the activity around the hive, I hadn't climbed up to check how many bees were in the box - just figured based on the large number of bees coming and going that the box was full of bees...

I did go back though mid-day after the night I had looked and found it empty, there was only one little bee by the entrance, none flying, no scouts..which does still make me wonder if a swarm came and then left.

Keeps life interesting!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.