Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

A little advice . . . Please

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Cedar Hill 
#1 · (Edited)
Sorry for cross posting, but I originally posted this in the Welcome Forum.

Simple story . . .

Running three deeps with an upper deep as a honey super. No queen excluder, just a 3/4" upper entrance between the upper deep and the lower two.

I found that the queen is laying in the upper deep. There are plenty of honey stores in the upper deep as well.

Since I don't plan on harvesting until fall, should I be concerned, or just let them fill the upper deep all summer, hoping the queen moves down by fall.

Should I smoke heavily and add a queen excluder?

Don't quite know what (if anything) I should be doing now.

TIA,

Ken

#9 ·
Do you realize that a deep super weighs almost a hundred pounds when full of honey? I'd recommend that you switch to mediums for honey supers. I've had a queen lay a few drone eggs in honey supers before. Maybe they'll be gone soon and the bees will fill those cells with honey. Even if they aren't you can cut out those cells on extracting day. The bees will rebuild that comb.

#10 ·
I'm working only a single hive in my back yard, so the weight is not that big of a deal for me. If it's not manageable, I will just take them frame-by-frame.

If I were working several hives, or remotely, I'd be a little more concerned with the weight.

Plus, I'm a weight lifter:D

#11 ·
In MA, the likelihood that the bottom deep will not be completely filled with honey or brood by the fall is great with such a set up as yours and depending on the climate. Don't know about Illinois, but it may be advisable to check that bottom super at present to see if they are in fact using it thoroughly and simply put the deep frame(s) with brood there and then put the empty frames in their place in the third deep. Just in case you don't have a queen excluder.... OMTCW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.