Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Golden Bee Suit

39K views 252 replies 49 participants last post by  PAHunter62 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I did a cut-out for an exotic dancer last night. ;) That was different. :rolleyes: Can you say 'boob-sicle'? :D

She had these very large.......hive. Like her it was very thin and tall, except on top where it was enormous!
It took four and one half hours to do her...job. :cool:

I thought it was the bees she was interested in, :confused: so I put my extra GBP suit on her so she could watch (and help :rolleyes: ). Curtis, that suit did not look anything like yours. :eek:

#8 ·
How good can you see thru it? I have had veils made of wire. They worked fine but I always seemed to get a glare from them.

The veil I got last year with my Apollo Pull Over jacket (See For Sale section)has a fiberglass screen and is the best screen for a veil I've used yet.

#9 ·
This is the description of the suit from the Patent. http://patft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=26&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=beekeeper&OS=beekeeper&RS=beekeeper Here is the link but dial-up takes a loooong time. But to answer your question I can see very good from the screen I said plastic but it might be fiberglass.
The material includes an outside net layer, an inside net layer and an intermediate porous cellular plastic layer. The inside and outside layers provide structural integrity to the suit, while the intermediate layer provides protection against the bee stings through its thickness of approximately 0.4-0.6 centimeters. The intermediate layer provides about 90-95% of void space with a high degree of permeability to permit ventilation an cooling of the users skin during activity.
A facial mask formed from mesh material is preferably colored in white or lighter color on the exterior surface thereof, so as to not attract bees or other insects and colored black on interior surface to prevent light reflection and thus increase visibility.
Curtis

#11 ·
#14 ·
that is one great looking suit.

I have to say I think it will be cooler than the Brazilian thing I got.

The mesh concept is about the same as the Brazilian.
Two layers of mesh with a thick fabric between with large holes that permits good ventilation and keeps the layers farther apart than stinger reach.

[ May 29, 2006, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: brent.roberts ]

#17 ·
>Does anyone know how this suit stands up to washing?

My oldest suit is going on three years old and the second is in it's second year. I wash my suits at least once a week and sometimes as much as three times if I am doing a lot of cut-outs and using a helper too. I have no holes, rips, or tears in either and it is a bit hard to tell them apart as they both look pretty clean and bright.

I use ERA with no bleach or fabric softners. Normal wash cycle with warm wash and cold rinse. I do not remove the hood. I air dry indoors.

#20 ·
OK, people seem to like Golden Bee Suits. I like them also, but I can find fault with everything. Its a talent.
6 things I didnt like:
1. One suit took 3+ months to get and several calls (Well before Katrina problems).Whaaaa
2. One suit had a significant sewing deficiency on the leg and a needle in the seam which I found when I put it on (ouch, whaaaa). I did not contact the company and repaired myself.
3. My current suit had the interior headband sewn in incorrectly making headband unusable. Self repair.
4. The thing I like to whine about most is that the face screen is difficult to see thru and should be black, at least on the inside. The light brown screen reflects too much light. I might try painting it myself.
5. The suit material hangs easily on brush. Whaaaa.
6. When wearing the suit people ask if I work for NASA.

To be fair here are 6 things I like:
1. Good zippers
2. Very sting resistant
3. Cool, especially if there is a breeze.
4. Pretty durable.
5. I am fat. Of 4 suits ordered, they all fit well.
6. Quick on and off, veil can be unzipped and thrown over head for a quick drive.

#21 ·
Wow....... leaving a needle in the seam is a nasty mistake and they should know about it. Heck, all the screw ups should be noted and mailed to them. If they are unaware of the problems, they can't fix them.

Still waiting for mine......... :confused: :confused:

#23 ·
>5. The suit material hangs easily on brush. Whaaaa.

Yes it will snag on things quite easily. I have learned to watch for that and so far have not torn the material. Be careful around the corners of telescoping covers.

Last week I was removing a swarm from a rose bush. I don't normally wear a suit for swarms but this one was well inside of the 12 foot diameter wild rose bush. I had to do a lot of beating around the bush to shake them down and out. A couple of times I wondered if I was going to be able to extract myself as I had both arms caught in the thorns and could barely reach the other arm to free it. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.