Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Filling holes from staples

7K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  EastSideBuzz 
#1 ·
So I am curious what you use to fill your holes when you assemble boxes and lids etc. Do you use wood putty or caulking? Before you paint.

I have been using caulking to spot the holes before I paint. Wondering the long term drawbacks to that. Should I be using wood putty.

#6 ·
Amen what MB wrote. These are bee boxes, not fine furniture. Thousands and thousands (probably millions if not billions) of boxes built have never had done rto them what you want to do and are still sound and in use. Not necassary.

#18 ·
Michael, I had not any intention of ofending you. One has to prioritise his work, and with your obligations in programing, farming, mentoring, lecturing, your spiritual life etc. there is no time left for "decoration" of bee boxes:D
Not to mention work on your website that helps in education of many new(and not so new) beekeepers including myself.
I thank you for that.
However I don't think that average beekeeper works on your schedule, and has no time for maintenance of his/her equipment. I know it's important what's in the box, but it doesn't hurt if the box looks nice.

#21 ·
Ok then. I guess people don't spot staple holes.

I have just been caulking them and then painting the boxes. Guess I am gong to keep doing that. I only made 100 boxes last year and probably will build about the same this year so it is not to much time to spot the holes.

And just so you know "Life is good here in Issaquah".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.