Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Beekeeping Toy Justification

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  BULLSEYE BILL 
#1 · (Edited)
Pulled about 40 lbs of honey from two of my four hives today. It looks like in another three weeks or so I will be able to pull another 40 lbs. I've had these hives for two years and this is the first harvesting I've done. This phase brings the beekeeping thingie to full circle and the final payoff is definetly worth the wait. I've got two large buckets draining the honey right now in the kitchen (crush and strain method) and I can smell the honey from here. Very satisfying.

I expect another harvest towards the end of summer after the star thistle bloom. That's supposed to be some sweet honey even if it crystallizes easily.

I found the Ryobi 18 volt blower to be very helpful in helping to remove the bees from the frames. First I smoked them to get them to move but that had limited effect. It seemed the best way was to first smoke them a little, then shake each frame in front of the hive and then blow the few remaining bees off the individual frames and place them in empty boxes on my ATV.

My wife cannot believe the large amount of honey sitting in our kitchen right now. More toys on the way after this.... I can see them now...now...now...

See less See more
#3 ·
Nope. Doesn't make much noise at all. I wouldn't compare it to a full blown bee blower however since the volume of air it blows is quite low. It works well for removing those last 10 or twenty bees from the frames individually though and it sure is easy to pack around as it doesn't weigh much, plus it only costs $29, sans battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.