Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

honey sump

6K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Oxankle 
#1 ·
I was looking for info on a honey sump. I just bought a 33 frame extractor with a Cowan uncapper, I will be running about 80-100 colonies. My question is I want to build a honey sump, what size should I build. Any do’s and don’ts that I should be aware of? Also looking for a plan to build. Do you need a water bath?

#2 ·
Basically all you need is a tub to hold the honey as a resiqour for the honeypump suck outof. A water jacket is nice, warmer honey runs better, but not necissary. SS is also nice, keeps things cleaner(easy to clean).
I use an old double walled ss sump. It leaks water at the joints, so I dont use the water jacket. I keep my extracting room really warms so the honey pumps all the same. I think I would be easier just to buy a used one than making one. Unless you can get one made really cheap

Ian

#3 ·
I use a single wall stainless tank with two sizes of stainless screens, in summer. In winter, I switch over to a Dadant double wall hot water bath tank. It catches the big stuff by making the warmed honey flow over a wall, which the wax stays behind. Like them both. Then I pump through double womens nylons. These should be used nylons, for proper flavoring of the honey. I do wash them first, however.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.