Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Hello from Iowa

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  iahawk 
#1 ·
My wife, Kathy, and I started this "hobby" this spring. We bought kits for two full hives but only started one, in case it just didn't click with us. So far, so good, though. We have a good location in east central Iowa. Lots of water, fields with prairies forest as well as pasture, many flowering plants. So we're hopefull it will be productive as well as fun.
We have a lot to learn and hope to learn a lot here. Hello to all.:)

#2 ·
Welcome if you have the equipment for two hives use it. The advantage is if one hive gets in trouble you can help it with the other. I’m originally from Maquoketa, is that anywhere near North Liberty?

#3 ·
Maquoketa

Hello, and thanks. First, yes, Maquoketa is a bit NE of here. We are located between Iowa City and Cedar Rapids, on a little over 3 acres with forest and horse pasture mostly around us.
I agree we probably should have gone with two hives. I have a second set built. Is it too late to start it now? I don't know if I can get a queen locally. It is an easy drive down to the Dadant business in Illinois to get more hive bodies, frames etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.