Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Greetings from the World's Newest Country (and also Texas)

Tags
africa
3K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  samoadc 
#1 ·
Greetings BeeSource Community!

I'm a Texan working in South Sudan, the world's newest country, helping communities there set up sustainable businesses. We're starting with beekeeping and honey products, and we plan to build up the country's local honey industry while finding ways to sell their varietal, 100% natural honeys in the USA.

I'm an economist and a philosopher by background, but I think there is no better way to create a new country, grow local markets and businesses, and develop a sustainable agricultural base than through beekeeping.

It's going to be an adventure with a learning curve for both me and the beekeepers, so I look forward to our discussions on the BeeSource forums.

#8 ·
Watch for the dilution w/ sugar feed. Spent a few years in Kenya (2008-2010) and would buy honey when doing field work in the Rift Valley. All the Kenyans know you have to really know what to look for in honey because they love to feed the bees sugar water, then harvest after the bees reduce the water out and cap, and tell all the tourists it is local "natural" honey.

At least the sugar is locally produced. If you are a Mzungu (a white guy) take everything told to you w/ a grain of salt and, most importantly, enjoy your time there--it'll go by quick!

#9 ·
Best of luck. With the price of bee equipment you had best start cooperatives and assist them in learning simple ways of building much of their own equipment. Do so well that you can arrange for them to sell it in the restof the world. There must be many people in many parts of the world already who use some very good ideas about raising bees. Maybe someone in the United Nations can help you find out what others do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.