Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Sand Plums

6K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Bigtwin 
#1 ·
I have some hives about 1/4 mile from a stand of sand plums. I assume these bloom early, is that right? Also, do bee use them?

#4 ·
Fwiw

I often take walks at that beeyard after I take care of the hives. On one walk, the plums were ripe, and I ate quite a few of them. They actually taste good, but not much flesh and not as sweet as domesticated plums.

This is also the yard with the bald eagle nest just down the way, and last summer there was a juvenille bald eagle flying around much of the time. This property also sets right on the Arkansas River (the owner actually owns the riverbed to the middle of the river).

#6 ·
Sand Plums are used by all kinds of wildlife; bees, deer, hog, rabbit & ect. The Sand Plum has so many uses. Not often sought after because of the elder generation. During the dust bowl the sand plum was one of the only trees to bare fruit. It became one of the main dishes during that era. When it was over everyone was sick of it and the thorn's it produces. There are some people that have never seen or even know what a sand plum is. They are great for wine and preserves. Preppers love the seeds i hear because of the hardy and healthy growth of the plant in bad soil.

S.D.
Ceo of River Side Sand Plums
www.riversidesandplums.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.