Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

WOW WOW WOW

6K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  wayacoyote 
#1 ·
WOW that is all I can say about this expierence. I got 3 starter hives from CJC bees in Arkansas today and got them set up. I opened each one up to put a gallon of syrup in and found these bees to be so gentle. I did not wear a vail or anything just a little smoke. I found the queen in 2 of the three hives (probably missed her in the first one) They were installed by them on monday and they must have just been released as I did not see any eggs yet (could have missed those to) Anyway it was such a RUSH to open each hive and the hum of the bees was exciting. Found several drones in each hive. WOW WOW WOW.....getting 3 packages from Kehoen next week and will install them myself.........That is going to make my week. Just wanted to share my excitement........

#4 ·
Being careless is the SOLITARY time I have gotten stung, after many, many inspections and I am about as new as they get.

One time last summer I was in a hurry before gonig away for the weekend and needed to feed my hives prior to leaving. I ran out there real quick, baggies in hand, with little more than a pair of shorts and a tank top on.

Upon opening the hive, one promptly flew out and stung me on the back of my neck. Nobody to blame but myself and actually walked away relieved that was the only nip I suffered.

I ALWAYS dress; veil, jeans, white shirt, gloves and tape on the gloves. Was using liquid smoke, ran out and have either been to poor or to cheap to by a proper one, so I even work my hives without smoke. The "hot" hive is a little unsettling, but heck, they get mad if a strong wind hits the box. The other is a pure delight.

#5 ·
>I ALWAYS dress; veil, jeans, white shirt, gloves and tape on the gloves. Was using liquid smoke, ran out and have either been to poor or to cheap to by a proper one, so I even work my hives without smoke. The "hot" hive is a little unsettling, but heck, they get mad if a strong wind hits the box. The other is a pure delight.

IMO you need to get a smoker and requeen the hot hive. You could even force a supercedure or emergency) in the hot hive and let them raise a queen. Often the offspring isn't so hot.

#8 ·
If you are new to beekeeping, "wear your protective clothing".

Then after a couple seasons, you'll have the experience to determine when to wear or not to wear.

I don't wear, however, I don't mind being stung.

And my hives are very close to the door of the house. I can run inside and hop in the shower in a worse case scenerio.

People who work beeyards don't have this option....

My bees are gentle after several years. You need to learn what causes a grouchy hive. What causes them to seem tolerant to your probing, etc.

This comes Only with/by experience.

#9 ·
Maybe part of the problem is the defninition of the word "hot". I guess if you're opening them without smoke and one bee nails you, I don't consider that hot. Even if you used smoke I'd just consider it a bit rude, but no big deal. Now if 20 of them came right at you AFTER you smoked them on a nice day I'd look for other causes and if it happened again (with no other apparent causes like queenlessness or skunks) then I'd requeen quickly.

#10 ·
Ok I opened them up again today to see if the queens were laying. Sure enough I had eggs in all three colonies and they are building lots of comb. I found lots of pollen being stored randomly and they are taking the syrup good. I did notice that long chains of bees were sticking together when I pulled the frames out....what is that about?

[This message has been edited by Flewster (edited April 17, 2004).]

#11 ·
I was in a hurry to go somewhere last year and wanted to fill the hive top feeder. I had on jeans and a tee shirt. No veil, no protective clothing of any kind. The bees had been pretty gentle up to then. Well, this time, they came after me and I must confess, they had me on the run. Got stung about 10 times and they followed me about 30yds. The final indignity was getting stung in the house after I thought it was over, by one that had gotten up my pant leg. Needless to say, I learned my lesson.

#13 ·
Okay, you guys put the fear of "bee" into me. I never wear my veil when I go out to feed them. I will from now on!

Thanks, Michael, for the answer regarding the "string of bees." I never saw that last year, but this year I've seen it in all of my hives. A fellow beekeeper told me they do this when they're getting ready to swarm--I've already had three swarms and hope I'm done with swarms for the year. They were very busily building comb.

#14 ·
I admit, I do go out to the yard and move equipment around (unoccupied equipment) and such with no veil and I have Rapid Feeders and miller feeders that can be filled without opening the hive and these I refill without a veil. But if I have to actually face the bees to do it I wear at least a veil.

#16 ·
One thing I have found in beekeeping "Everyone agrees to disagree
. I will wear a veil if I am getting a ferall hive or if my bees show some sign of agression, otherwise no. I dont even own a suit, but am looking for a jacket with a zipper for ferrall hives.
Nathaniel

#17 ·
Yup, but they don't care if they get stung. Also remember pictures can be taken on good days. You rarely see pics of a beekeepers running from cover in times they have accidents such as dropping a few frames of bees on the ground (no veil or smoker)........I know I had to make a dash or two over 20 yrs. Pretty comical to see, ads to the learning curb too

#18 ·
>I did notice that long chains of bees were sticking together when I pulled the frames out....what is that about?

In the video production, "Tales from the Hive" from the Nova collection, shows a swarm moving into a hollow tree and making chains of bees. The video stated that the bees 'measure' by chaining together and in this way also organize the direction of the comb.

#19 ·
Photos? I am certainly glad no one was watching when I was chased down my stairs 2 weeks ago, falling half the way and respraining both ankles (fortunately? I was already scheduled for therapy with the VA Hospital). You all might have laughed. But I tell you I was crying while I crawled on hands and knees to my apartment.

Chaining bees? That reminded me of what I found in my hives today. The first time in a long time. I had to take special care in flipping my frames as the bees rolled across them like syrup. They would fall off in sheets they were so thick. I had already opened the brood chamber some, but really hope I am not headed toward swarms.

Veils? I always wear my veil now, at least until I see how things will go. I have long, dark hair and seem to attract a lot of negative attention when I don't wear it. But with it on, I can usually work in short-sleeves.

#21 ·
CherGarr,
I wanted to clearify that last post... Not only do I get negative attention from the bees when I don't wear a hat and veil, but my mom and her family are "white people" (AKA pale-faces
So I get a lot of negative attention from them too when they seem my hair. So I have just taken to wear a veil all the time. At last Easter's lunch, no one even mentioned my hair once! Also, since I started wearing it regularly, I no longer get stings on the back of my ears.... oh, and I haven't seen a pink elephant either. I heard they were in the area from my niece. Maybe they are scared of veils?
WayaCoyote

#22 ·
Wayacoyote, why are they so attracted to hair? My hair is blonde/gray, but still seems to attract attention. I purposely don't use hairspray or anything like that, but they just love to get tangled in my hair. Another reason I should always wear my veil when working the bees. One beekeeper gave me the idea of carrying a wide-toothed comb with me when I garden (why didn't I think of that), but I still pull it back tight in a ponytail whenever I venture out to the garden.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.