Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Lightweight suits

6K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Will 
#1 ·
okay ya'll I'm pretty sure this has been discussed on here before but has or does anyone use the south american suit that GloryBee Foods sells.Theres a picture of one on page 64 of the 2007/2008 catalog.What I need to know is it really pretty much sting proof and as cool wearing as it's claimed?Also it says to order a coupla sizes bigger,how much bigger did you have to order.I"m 5'6",205 lbs.About a 48/50 blazer/suit jacket size.

#2 ·
I like my Brazilian half-suit.

I bought one a year or so ago. I like mine alot. It has a hole you can pass a straw through to take a water break while still wearing the suit. I have the half-suit and the gloves. It's two layers of mesh. I've never been stung through the suit or gloves. I would buy another one. You can feel the breeze through the mesh. I'll never wear another heavy cotton suit again. It's a little stiff when it first arrives, but I had my wife wash it in some fabric softener.

Will

#8 ·
Overall still a good suit

I moved and worked another hive last night in the dark with suit and LED. Looks like the suit is a little loose fitting around my waist. That's where the bees are entering and crawling up my body into the veil. I need to sew in a cinch type drawstring and I believe that will solve the problem. Overall, I'm still happy with the half-suit.

#9 ·
LOL WILL,I finally got to see a pic of the half suit(it ain't in the catalog)on their website.I was mainly looking at the full suit,next year I'm putting a bunch of hives in a 40,000 acre swamp,what I'd really like to know is it skitter proof too!Like bees,expect to be stung,But I really hate a skitter:eek:

#10 ·
I have some bees down at my in-law's farm in SW GA. They got skeeters down there bigger than honeybees! Most of the time the bees are the least of my worries. Seem to have been blown up several years back with the hurricanes. Skeeters don't get in the suit, but the danged gnats do!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.