Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

HBH Homebrew, looks better than the other recipes I have tried.

Tags
hbh recipe
4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  John R C 
#1 ·
Took some time this morning and played around with HBH recipes I have seen. I stopped buying it years ago because of the price. The typical ones you see floating around make about a quart size portion and the consistency and color aren't the same. I have a batch that is pretty darn close. I think the other recipes don't use enough lecithin and too much sugar. Also in order to get it to mix right you have to boil the lecithin in for a few minutes, let it cool some then add your sugar and when it cools all the way add the essential oils. I took two cups of water and two tablespoon of lecithin. I boiled it on medium high while stirring. It becomes almost like a jelly puffed with air, when it cools a minute it is still thick and a little orange colored. Then add the sugar, that's where I should have payed attention. I poured it until it gets about the color and consistency of the store bought about 1/8th cup? If you add too much sugar it gets clearer and thinner. let it cool to room temp and then the 15 drops LGO and Spearmint. It makes about 16 oz I added a little water until it filled a 16 oz bottle. When, if I get time I am going to play some more and try to perfect it, I need to buy a small bottle to compare. It sure does look a lot closer. Take it for what it is worth, take my thoughts and play, some one has got to hit the nail on the head sooner or later.

#4 ·
>when it cools a minute it is still thick and a little orange colored.
If it's changing color after you cook it, it's breaking down. Caramelized sugar is not good for bees, caramelized lecithin can't be either.

You make a HBH concentrate, (add lecithin so add high levels of EO can be mixed). Then take 2 tsp concentrate and cut it in 1 quart of sugar water.

When i have made it I skip the concentrate step. Add sugar, EO then water to the one gallon batches I make, shake a few time let it sit a few minutes for the sugar to melt then shake again. No need for lecithin (thought I read it's not good for bees).

I don’t mix it much, don't want to cause robbing.

#5 ·
Flower Planter, its not breaking down it's not carmelized, the heat helps it dissolve in the water. The granules have a slight orange color in the container. When you add the sugar it turns the milky yellow like the store bought unless you sdd to mutch then it starts to clear. Mbeck, how do you figure Sodium Laureth sulfate? It is not listed on the bottle or in any of the documents I have found? I have seen recipies with dish detergent because it has that in it. Where are people getting that from?

#7 ·
Mbeck, I thought is was something like that. I have a bottle and it is not listed on it. Anyway, this batch I made is the right color, you could pass it off for HBH, I am happy with it, bees like it. How did you come up with your recipe?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.