paces with a cut out.

I can only compare them to the Mann Lake
waxed cardboard Nucs.

The EZ Nuc is well worth the extra $3.00 with out a
doubt.

Much better frame rests.

Much better frame fit.

Ventilation is superb.

Nice space over top bars for pollen patties.

Nice entrance that can be closed down (no
plastic plug to buy and lose).

Lid is hinged and that makes it really convenient.

Heavy duty. This should stand up and out live
5 cardboard nucs.

Only complaint..... The slot above the entrance
will let bees leak. It is designed to hold the entrance
door up, but don't forget to tape it shut on transport.

In short, at this point I won't use anything else.
When my Mann Lake cardboard ones are gone,
nothing but Jesters EZ Nuc.

I will update this regarding wear and weathering.

Jester EZ Nuc

See less See more
#6 ·
I have stacked the cardboard ones 4 high. I have
no experience stacking these yet. But my gut feeling
is that they will do better than the cardboard ones.

The ventilation is at least 5 times better than the
Mann Lake cardboard ones. Holes in the front, back,
and all along the top sides.

#8 ·
I got 10 of these and tried them the other day. All my frames are to short for the rests, i have tried assembling in the only three combinations that the ends can be assembled in and the frames are always to short. I have three different brands of frames including dadant and all end up on the floor of the nuc during transport. anyone have any idea what kind of glue would work on a small piece of wood and the plastic box so the frames will stay up?? thanks

#9 ·
The frames "ride" on the rest good in the "one" EZ box I have as for the wood brace I added braces in the "ML" cardboard boxes I have to stop the fraames from falling.

I did all kind of mods to the ML cardboard boxes.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
As for the longevity, Jester makes up all his nucs in these boxes and some have been in use for a long time, out in FL weather, with 100 degree sun one minute and zero visibility thunderstorms the next minute. I have 100 of them and they work real well, although not as much ventilation as I'd like. I've moved up to 50 at a time and had no mortality due to ventilation so I guess there's enough. The real good quality is that they weigh 1/4 of a wood nuc and I'm getting old! You can glue a wood strip in them if you don't like the way the frames ride, but also consider putting a couple of small screws or staples into the wood from the outside. One improvement you can easily make is go to Home Depot and buy some sticky back Velcro and stick a 2 inch piece on the inside of the flap of the lid to hold it down. Otherwise, it tends to spring open on its own.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
I can see these as being easy to use for smarm traps if you are mounting them off the ground somewhere, but come on, for $11.95?? Unless you are buying them in large quantities, you can build nuc out of WOOD for less and they will last a hell of a lot longer. In fact I just built one last night out of 1x8 from Lowes (using their select woods) for $14.00 and I "splurged" on nicer stuff - it will last practically forever. In our dry heat plastic doesn't last nearly as long as in other environments.

#15 ·
you can build a nuc real cheap if your handy with wood. I think its time we all wake up and look what our government is doing to our country. its time we all demand more building here at home and take care of our people. I'm looking for a new extractor and I wont buy one from another country. I will pay a little more and get the maxant because its made in the states. if its not American made don't buy it. it don't take a college education to figure that out.

#17 ·
Well I've been wanting to try the nuc plans from this site, for the 4 nucs from one sheet of plywood. I just haven't had time, and we found a queen cell the other day that I'm hoping to get in a nuc... And Dadant didn't have (or has discontinued) the cheaper cardboard nucs that I was going to get...only reason I had to get the EZ nuc.

#19 ·
Your frames are not to short, the boxes are too long. A glue gum might be best. I have no college degree and have a hard time folding them. I caught a bait swarm in one.

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
I own 5 of the Jester nuc boxes. all of the problems listed here are the one that I have, frame rest too far apart, and the lids won't stay closed. When I get to it I will merely glue a piece of wood in the rear, so as to not block the entrance. Velcro, bunji cords, or even big rubber bands will hold them closed. For the money they are great. I plan on using mine for Queen rearing, as well as swarm traps.

#22 ·
american made clothing is the best in the world if you can find it.. your going to pay a little more but we get better value for our dollar. that stuff you buy from china wont last as long. I agree our corporations pay a very high corporate tax in the states. our corporations go overseas to get cheaper labor so they can turn around and sell their product for a big profit in the states while the company ceo gets 30 million in bonus for doing nothing. You call this the new world economy. i'm waiting for the next great depression to hit us again. I hope you are ready. The system is broke.

#24 ·
I picked up my nuc in one of these. They're fairly sturdy and the frames fit just fine in the one I have. The ventilation holes at the top were big enough that bees could get out. Typically not a huge deal unless they are riding inside a van for a long roadtrip!

Seems it'll hold up for awhile, but I've also made up some wooden nucs. I'll use this for short term stuff, but I don't want to have it fall apart with bees in it.

#25 ·
Has anyone noticed a problem with the amount of light that shines through these boxes? Don't the bees like it darker inside? I have few of them and am considering paint or some other covering to make them darker inside. My primary use is for swarm traps or to put swarms I capture in them. Any thoughts on the light issue?

#27 ·
I would cover the holes with duct tape or something similar. Swarm traps work best when there is no light inside the trap. I use the Jester nucs all the time. Holes are not a problem except when it's pretty cold. Then splits do better if I cover the holes on the side with duct tape to help them keep the brood warm. They hold up well, my customers love them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.