Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Nucs from brushy mountain.

9K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  GLOCK 
#1 ·
So I go to order 15 DBL. NUCS from BUSY MOUNTAIN and they want to charge me 178.00 to ship now i know things cost now a days but come on that much ?!
Any way i'm thinking about just taking REG DEEPS and split them in to two nucs with a divider has any one here done that and if so did you use a second box?
I want to use them for winter nucs.
I wish MANN LAKE had nucs.:(

#3 ·
Re: Nucs from busy mountain.

I make my own equipment, and I recently started selling some of it locally. I'd offer the same deals to you as well, but my guess is if brushy mountain's shipping from PA to PA is $178.00, shipping nucs from NC to PA would be significantly more than that. But I can check if you would like.

I've put dividers into standard 10 frame deep boxes before to use them as 2 separate nucs. I usually use a non-standard bottom board to do this though.

The picture has a dummy division board and a 4-way bottom board. The 4 way bottom board will work as a two way nuc, but I also have 2-way bottom boards (just don't have any pictures right now).

If I want to make it a two story, I just take a 4 frame nuc and put it over top one of the sides (Mike Palmer style). It works well. I just spent last weekend making up about a dozen 4 frame nuc boxes actually.

If you'd like pics of that, or the 2-way bottom board, let me know.

#6 ·

I believe Mann Lake does have Nucs...

Look at Page 53 of their online catalog.
Wow i quess i'm getting old never saw them after all most 4 years for spending money there.
I figured i seen every page any way thank you .
I'm still going to make some deeps in to DBL nucs. I have all deeps so i want to learn to use them for every thing like queens / splits/nucs/breeding nucs everything i can.
Thank you.

#5 ·

Glock,

I'm using divided ten frame deeps to overwinter nucs and they're doing well.
They were split too late to put up a second story, so I am using a single deep this year, and planning to use them 2 deep next year.

The cluster in each box tends to gather at the divider, sharing heat and more or less forming a single cluster with a divider board in the middle.

The individual clusters will be much smaller than you are accustomed to seeing in a single deep.

#13 ·

thinking about just taking REG DEEPS and split them in to two nucs with a divider has any one here done that and if so did you use a second box?
I want to use them for winter nucs.(
We have made our own by dividing deeps, however using a full size box as a 2nd story is very tricky and even trickier when inspecting. I have abandoned doing that. For a second story, it is much easier to use a 4 frame nuc, one on each side, and then you can use a telescoping cover. If you use BM's queen castle, you have the divider rising up to contend with. I have used shims to deal with that, or just sawed some of it off. Search some of M palmer's threads and he has nice photos of his divided deeps with 4 frame nucs as the 2nd story.
I also have some photos, but I simply can not master how to post them here on beesource- i keep getting error messages, so pm me if you want.

#15 ·

Mr Glock, go to frenchbeefarm.com They have a good description on two nucs in a deep box and indeed taking a honey crop off of them. Don't get anxious when it all appears to be in french, which is non-parleyvouable to me. The procedure is there in English. I recommend everyone look at it.

#21 · (Edited)

That is a lot of shipping money, but if I'm looking at the same thing you're looking at, that medium double nuc with bottom board and lid, they say that's 18lbs to ship. So your total would be 270lbs. That's a lot of weight.

#24 ·

GLOCK, You're only about 30 min from the Penn Stater over in State College. Brushy says they'll be at this event and they'll bring your order w/them for free, no shipping (they do this to almost any event they attend). Call them and see if you can pick upp your order w/o registering and paying to get into that event (unless of course you're interested in attending the event). This would get you all that weight for only a short drive.

http://www.pasafarming.org/

#25 · (Edited)

GLOCK, You're only about 30 min from the Penn Stater over in State College.

http://www.pasafarming.org/
Thats crazy i own a restaurant in STATE COLLEGE any we deliver there almost every day how strange and i'm in my store every day quess they just made a sale .i'd like to make my own stuff but i'm so busy these days plus i like BRUSHYS MOUNTAIN nucs i have 4 all ready.:)
Only gets better with each post. Well after talking to BRUSHY MOUNTAIN i'll just learn to make my own stuff i have what i need.
Thanks everybody

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.