Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Slovenian AZ Beehive

102K views 139 replies 31 participants last post by  steve4bees 
#1 ·
I have been searching the website for plans on this particular hive and have had
almost zero results. Found only one website from Slovenia and their arrticular plans left more questions than answers. Any infor on additional websites or plans for this particular hive would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks much...
pamlar

#7 ·
Those don't look that hard to build. There are round rods about 1" up from the bottom that hold the frames up on the lowest level, and a pair of frame spacers on each end to maintain frame spacing. The suppers have about 3/8" space under the frames. It would probably be easiest to make the frames langstroth sized so you could put foundation in them. But they could be any size, with the rest to the hive sized to match the frames. There is a entrance for each floor, and a space to slide a queen excluder in. The front with the bee entrance is double walled with a dead air space.

#8 ·
Tohya;
My whole life, I have been able to build anything from wood or metal if I had plans clear enough for me to understand. But, for whatever reason, I am not able to clearly forge ahead on my own with just a verbal description or a set of "sketchy" plans that leave many questions open to the builder...I envy those that can. That is why I am looking for a set of good clear plans. I am in full agreement with you that langstroth dimensions could/should/would be beneficial in fabricating these AZ hives.
Pamlar

#12 ·
#13 ·
Hi, I'm sorry about bumping an old thread on my first post, but I'm very curious about the AZ hive.

I've wanted one ever since I heard about them a couple years ago. Today I saw one for sale on eBay but I'm concerned about the listing saying it's made of "high quality spruce". Since it's made of spruce I'm guessing it's meant to be used ONLY inside a beehouse. I live in a very cool, wet climate (rain 10 months out of the year) so I don't think it would work outdoors? All my other hives are WRC, except one which is cypress.

Any opinions would be very much appreciated.

#14 ·
Ziva, Paint it and it will be fine. Most U.S. bee boxes are made of pine. No big deal. Once you have it you'll have a template and any local woodworker can replicate it. Maybe you could use some red cedar. Thats pretty easy to get in your area. Maybe if you're lucky you could even find the lumber for nothing at the free store on Lopez Island. :)

#17 ·
Thank you Mariner and cerezha-----that confirms what I thought about the hive not intended to be used freestanding. It needs a shelter.

Wildforager, yes, that was my intent to use it as a template to have more made. Western Red Cedar is easy to get here, but I'm on a different island (not on Lopez) and we don't have a "free wood store". Lucky Lopez Islanders! :)

cerezha, I will search for the recent thread, I found 4 when I was searching yesterday but I missed the recent one. Will try again.

Thanks again everyone.:)

#18 ·
Type "AŽ košnice" in google picture search and You'll see beehouse and how are transported, also there are 10 frame - standard. 11-12 frames "AŽ GROM". On a small place more hives, extremelly mobile.. But difficult to make and expensive.. Some says even You get all measures always something goes wrong, the best is buy one and copy-paste. And have a "fun" to assemble it.

#19 ·
Goran, thank you for the information. Yes, I did buy the 10-frame AZ to use it to copy from and make more ( after I find someone to help me!). You are right, it will be "fun" trying to assemble it! :eek:

(My family is from Filipovac but then they moved to Zagreb and then America before I was born).

#20 · (Edited)
Good luck and it's great hive, but need practice to work with it - to adapt operations to it. Here are more common 11-12 frame AŽ GROM.
Also to make easier to work and less expensive and easier to assemble some people took the frame size of AŽ grom and make it as langstroth bodies.
They are great for overwintering, cluster is in one body always in contact with food and in good formation ( no "death space" as someone call it).
BUT there is no bad hive just a bad beekeeper.
I work with langstroth ( LR).

Regards.

#21 ·
Thanks Goran! I'm really looking forward to working with the hive, but I won't be able to have a beehouse or shelter built before next spring. I'll need to learn-as-I-go for managing it. But a challenge is always good learning! I have 7 warrés and 1 Kenya TBH and they have different management techniques, so why not add another hive style into the mix?! It's always good to learn more about styles of beekeeping!

#22 ·
Type in Youtube " Pološka". If You like beehives - simple to make, frame size You want and by it make the "box". Some has 19, some 27 frames. For stationary, work with frame, not with box, also great overwintering. Someone call it recruitment center. Variations to work with it are numerous ( artificial swarms, two queen societies, as support colony for other hives, ect..). It's heavy hive. Yields as stationary are the same as other hives. Someone here says "hive for a soul". Some of them are decorated as small houses - cause that people love them ( also on youtube you can see them). I believe You call it at your place long hive.

#25 ·
Yes, thanks for the youtube suggestion. I love that Pološka hive! I also like your description of it's management. Definitely going to add that to my "wish list" of hives to try! I'm going to see if I can find some sample plans for it. Are the top bars of the frames the same size as LR frames?

Edit: I meant just the top bars of the frame. I can see in the video that the frames are deeper than LR frames.

#26 ·
I have no personal experience with them. But I think on video is standard DB - dadant blat frame. But as I understood there are no standard at pološka ( various numbers of frames -19, 22,24,27..., size of frames 40-30, 40-34, 30-40..., entrances - only front or side).. But at one forum I read some of beekeepers experiences with them. But not on english.. Some of these hives goes from one generation to another ( inherited or so). I have no intention to work with them, cause already work with one type and have no time to make another type, maybe when I get older - who knows..

#28 ·
Yes, he's the one I bought my hive from. He seems like a very nice man. (That looks like a new listing, when I bough mine he had already sold 2 and had 8 left). Anyway, when I first saw the original listing I didn't have any money so I sent him a message and told him I wanted to buy one but had to wait until I had the money. He answered back and said no problem, and that he would pack one up for me and send it when I had the money. I bought one after I got paid and he sent it immediately. It arrived here on the island last Fri at the post office. I couldn't pick it up then and the PO is closed on the weekend. I'm dying to pick it up tomorrow but we have a storm coming in tonight so I'll have to wait until Tues. Can't wait to see it!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.