Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Bee sting therapy

6K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  clintonbemrose 
#1 ·
Today I have had 3 calls about getting bees from me for sting therapy. All wanted 100 bees April 1st. What should I know about the legalitys of this? Have them sine a disclamer? What do you think the requirements to obtain the bees, A Doctors prescription? How much to charge for the bees? What type container?
Clint

------------------
Clinton Bemrose
just South of Lansing Michigan

#2 ·
I never thought about having a disclaimer or a relase. I suppose it makes a certain amount of sense. If I was writing one I would state that I (the beekeeper) am not making any claims as to the efficacy of venom treatment and that they (the person being purposfully stung) cannot hold me responsoble for any reaction they may have to being stung. It wouldn't cost you anything to write up something simple like that and it might keep you from getting sued by someone with an adverse reaction or being charged by the FDA for purporting a fraudulent cure for something.

Or maybe you should just say that you are selling them some bees, pure and simple. That you are not claiming they are good for any specific purpose and that you are not responsible for how they are used or what reaction anyone has to them.

Frankly I doubt it will matter, but then look at some of the frivolous suits we've seen in recent years.

#8 ·
While it's true that a disclaimer or waiver cannot keep anyone from suing you, it could very well keep them from winning the lawsuit. I don't know why newguy says disclaimers and waivers don't matter in a lawsuit; it isn't true under Virginia law and I doubt it's true under Michigan law.

Also, the fact that you sell a person one thing and "give" them another thing does not mean you can't be liable for an injury caused by the thing you "gave" them. If you're looking for protection from lawsuits, that's not the way to go. Not that I think the risk of liability here is that great, but then, I know nothing about Michigan law.

Here's the thing: if you are unwilling to sell bees for apitherapy unless you KNOW that it's legal, you need to consult a Michigan lawyer. If you want to minimize to the maximum extent possible the circumstances under which anyone could successfully sue you for doing so, you need to have a Michigan lawyer prepare an appropriate disclaimer/waiver/whatever. It's about risk and how much you're willing to pay to eliminate, or at least minimize, it.

Which is probably not much. In which case, what Michael and Jorge suggest is probably not a bad idea. Just don't tell PETA.

#10 ·
In my indoor shooting range, my insurance provider drew up the waiver that everyone who uses my facility must sign.

I also thought that it was of no value, but they assured me that it does carry weight in a court of law.

I also see it as a weezel point for the insurance carrier to refuse to cover me if someone sues me and has not signed a waiver...84674rds!

Anyway, it's free if the carrier provides it, or you can have a lawyer draw one up if you would rather. My insurance company didn't like the one I had drawn up by a lawyer and replaced it with their own.

Bill

#12 ·
The following is the best information I could find on sting therapy.
You do not need a prescription to sell bees. At the AAS we suggest to all our members that they have an EpiPen when they sting themselves in case they do have an allergic. Perhaps you can insist that they have one when you sell them bees. Now if you could just encourage them to join our organization to stay up to date on apitherapy (which includes bee venom therapy, royal jelly, honey, propolis and pollen) it would be outstanding!!!
Thanks for helping these folks!
Sara
To: aasoffice@apitherapy.org
Subject: selling bees

I am a Michigan beekeeper and recently I have had many people contacting me to obtain bees for sting therapy. Do I need to see a prescription for these people to obtain bees from me to be sure that they are in a Doctors care because of the possibility of them having a reaction to the stings that could cost them their lives?
Clint

Bemrose's Bees
Clinton Bemrose
Mason, Michigan
Near Lansing, MI

CMAC 2003
The American Apitherapy Society¹s
Charles Mraz Apitherapy Course
July 10 July 13, 2003
Los Angeles, California

A hands-on course in apitherapy for beginners and
Experienced apitherapists wishing to keep up to date.

Starting with the reception the evening of Thursday, July 10 the AAS is offering their annual course in apitherapy. This course is designed for people new to apitherapy and for experienced apitherapists who are interested in learning the latest in apitherapy treatments. You will
Have the opportunity to experience apitherapy -- hands-on.
Your instructors will be interesting, enthusiastic people devoted to healing with natural products as well as an experienced team of apitherapists. The classes will be small; the atmosphere conducive to questions and dialogue. The course will cover the use of bee venom therapy, pollen, propolis and royal jelly. The course will culminate in
An exam Sunday morning for those who are interested in receiving the Certificate of Knowledge.

Registration for the course and materials:
$275 for AAS members and $300 for non-members (includes a one year membership.) NOTE: Registration fees do not include hotel and meals.

To register, send your payment (US dollars please money order or credit card) along with your name, address, phone, and email to us at the address below or fax it to use. (Don¹t email that¹s not a secure method for credit card information!)

The hotel is the Four Points Sheraton at Los Angeles (LAX) International Airport. The Special AAS Room Rate is $74.00 per night, single or double occupancy so be certain to use the AAS name (Telephone: 800-529-4685) when reserving. The Four Points offers a free airport shuttle 24 hours a day. Please remember, July is tourism season in LA so reserve your room soon!

We hope to see you in Los Angeles!

Consider the Apitherapy CD from the international Apimondia Society!
Most everything you would ever want to know about apitherapy with great graphics! $35. Plus shipping and handling. Order from our website: www.apitherapy.org.

Sara A. Cornwall
Executive Director
American Apitherapy Society
1209 Post Road
Scarsdale, NY 10583-2023 USA

Phone: 914-725-7944
Fax: 914-723-0920
E-Mail: aas.office@verizon.net

Clint

------------------
Clinton Bemrose
just South of Lansing Michigan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.