Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Well, it is winter and I have a mouse in my hive!

10K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  BMAC 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I can still here the bees humming, but I see cappings and grass around in the entrance of the hive. The hive is one deep tall. Any thoughts on what I can do? Wait for warm day? Trap out with peanut butter? I hear mice leave the hive at night, is that true?

Thanks
Shaun

#3 ·
Place a nice big ole mousetrap baited with peanut butter on the front porch of the hive.
Careful here....what if the neighbor's dog finds it first? Or a raccoon or skunk? On a warm day...chase it out and put a mouseguard on...would be my advice.....of course with my luck it'll move into the house ;)

#8 ·
If you are worried about protecting larger animals, I have used a home-made version of the plastic boxes with a lot of success. It also turned out to be a lot more humane to the mice.

I have a pet rabbit that runs around the house. He chases mice, but he's old and blind... I wanted to put traps out, but had concerns about the rabbit getting a broken foot.

Solution:

Take a small (6x6x2 inch) cardboard box, cut 2x1inch holes on either side forming a tunnel. Place a standard snap trap inside up against one of the holes (I prefer the ones with the big plastic triggers). Place your newly formed tunnel up against a wall.

I don't even bait mine. I've watched a mouse see the box, head directly for it, and cannot resist going through the tunnel. As for humane, I haven't had a maimer since using this method.

Obviously cardboard is the wrong material for outside use...

#11 ·
Beemandan I think you are fear mongering. I have caught every cat and dog that I have ever owned in a mouse trap. I have never seen one get more than a slap on the nose. I have never seen anything get caught on the tongue. After getting hit on the nose they never bother another trap again.
Dave

#12 ·
Beemandan I think you are fear mongering.
I can assure you that any critter that sticks its tongue in a good mousetrap trap will be damaged. If you've managed to catch all sorts of animals with your traps and all they've ever gotten a tap on the nose...you've been lucky. In these matters...I choose to err on the side of caution. If that's fear mongering...so be it. If you think it is worth the chance of injuring a neighbor's pet or local wildlife....who am I to argue?

#13 ·
I can ASSURE you beemandan that the odds of ..........."A raccoon, skunk, possum or whatever will run away with the trap clamped on their tongue. When they finally get it off, much of their tongue will be lost and they will likely die. They depend on those tongues. Your neighbor’s dog? She may make it home with the trap still on….and will likely have to be put down."
is ASTRONOMICAL, if not impossible.
Trust me... I know.

Rest easy now my friend.

#14 ·
I've snapped those Victor mouse traps on my finger just to show the kids, and there is no way that it will mame or "kill" anything other than a mouse. What kind of mouse trap are you using beemandan? Sounds like you could catch a bear with that thing!

#17 ·
I've snapped those Victor mouse traps on my finger just to show the kids, and there is no way that it will mame or "kill" anything other than a mouse.
I use Victors. I've accidentally tripped them and mine will put a bruise on your finger. Now...I dare ya. Set one and trip it with your tongue. I'd dare you to test it on ol' Fido's tongue...but he doesn't deserve it.

As I advised the op...I'd run the mouse out and put a guard on the entrance.

#15 ·
I don't have a dog :D in this fight, but Beemandan is not the only person who has issues with mousetraps injuring domestic animals. From a Dog forum:

I once assisted in the surgical amputation of the tongue of a dog. The dog tested a training mousetrap with his tongue first while the owner was gone all day. By the time the owner came home, removing a third of the tongue was the only solution.

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/livestock-forums/pet-forum/220379-mousetraps-training-aids.html

:eek:

#18 ·
Heck, it is on the internet.... so it must be true. lol
The odds ......is ASTRONOMICAL, if not impossible.
The odds of any given person buying a winning Powerball Lottery ticket is what is really astronomical, but that doesn't stop millions of people. And eventually, somebody collects.

Trust me... I know.
You haven't provided any information as to why we should trust you, who after all, is just another anonymous person on the internet! :eek:

#23 ·
Shaun,
shovel the 18inches of snow off the top of your hive, tilt the hive back on the bottom board and the mouse will probably run out. Stick your hive tool up between the frames and drag the nest out from between the frames. The bees will be so tightly clustered that they won't bother you. Then set things back in place and add an entrance reducer to keep mice from coming back.

#32 ·
How many shots do you think the average person, not someone trained in firearms, would have to take to kill a mouse w/ a BB gun? I kill mice w/ my hive tool. It usually takes more than one whack. How many BBs does it take to kill a mouse, if you can hit it? I bet a mouse can take more than one body shot before dying.

#37 ·
Excellent safety point Mark. Everyone needs to understand how to user THEIR power tools safely and correctly before operating them. We see this as common sense and often dont give it much thought, but all too often people are hurt, or hurt others from misuse of tools or simply not understanding the safety issues involved with such tools.

Regardless of the tool being used to get rid of said mouse, I know it has been mentioned twice on this thread but heres a third. REMEMBER your MOUSE GUARD!

#34 ·
Bait and set your mouse trap and set it inside a large mouth quart jar. Cut a small portion of the lid off so that just a mouse can get into the jar. Place the lid on the jar and attach it with the jar cap (referred to as a ring). I do that in my flower beds to keep from catching small birds. It will work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.