Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Ants

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  honeybeekeeper 
#1 ·
So my daughter and I open up the hive the other day and there 100's maybe 100's of ants all massed together on the top bars....I tried the cinnamon to no effect can I try the sugar and borax thing on the ground around the hive or will the bees pick it up? Any and all suggestions are welcome, Thanks.

#5 ·
I DE safe for bees? I thought that it got into their joints and tore them up like the other insects. :s

I have TONS of it left over from when I went crazy thinking it would solve my flea problem..... It did ok on killing fleas and pretty good at doing in my vaccume!:doh:

I would love to have a legitimate reason for having 75 lbs of the stuff!

#8 ·
I had a lot of big black ants (carpenter ants I think) under my top cover on top of the top bars two weeks after I installed my package.

A week later I went back, no ants at all. The bees were much more active also. I wonder if they went in and evicted them.

Since then, no ants even though there is a pretty good size carpenter ant colony 20 ft away.

#10 ·
Yes Lauren you just make a mount either around your legs of your hive or if you have blocks, mount it all around your hive....I didnt put as much in the front of my hives. I just put it around the sides and the back. Along the back at the ends i went out about 10 feet on both ends like a reenforcement barrier! I still used ground cinnamin on top of the inner cover! I do not have a ant problem anymore!...I seen results within 3 days with each day having alot of improvements!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.