Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Dysentery? Nosema??

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
I've got a second year hive that started as a nuc last spring. First week of march we saw the smears on the front of the box and landing board that looks like the other pics of dysentery I've seen. We got some fumagillin b and by the recommendations from our club we sprayed the bees with sugar fuma mix. It took about a quart to get them drenched. The reason we sprayed was the temp was expected to drop quickly to freezing and wanted them to get the dosage as soon as possible. The temps dropped and it was well over a week before we could drench them again. Of course the temp dropped again. The temp got high enough to feed them Friday and we put half a gallon on and it was gone by Saturday afternoon. I was hoping to put more on today but it was a afraid that it would get too cold. What is the recommended treatment after a problem is suspected? I've got the preventative dosage so that isn't needed. Thanks

#2 ·
don't forget to read the label about when you can put your honey supers back on. When you are drenching the bees, you don't have to get them soaked, the idea is to get the correct amount of the medicine in some sugar syrup and put it in the hive and on the bees, they will clean each other off and get the medication. Not sure about down south, but in the colder area of the country it's more important in the fall going into winter. From what has been reported, once new pollen starts coming in and the weather warms nosema should not be a problem during the summer. Since you drenched twice and fed once you should be done treating for the spring. also after confinement some spotting on the hives is natural, mine got out for the first time Sat. lot of mustard colored snow, and the windows on my truck are hard to see out of:)

#3 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.