Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

First look into the mating nucs and . . . .

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Keth Comollo 
#1 ·
The graft I did for my overwintered nucs was ready for it's first inspection yesterday. I am happy to say that 9 out of 10 have laying queens!!
They are big beautiful queens with two of them being some of the largest I have ever seen with the exception of one that appears to be a miniature replica of a queen. A pygmy if you will. Be interesting to see what she does. Only has layed about a softball size patch compared to the other 8 which have layed frames wall to wall.

Now to find a queen for the 10th nuc!

#6 ·
Great job, congrats on the new daughters.

Now, as you said... "Now to find a queen for the 10th nuc! "

I suggest you find 2 queens, the runt is already way behind the others, and would be hive tool tested if it was me.

And what's this about finding a queen? I think you should raise another round, as this round turned out great!

#7 ·
Don't have the time right now to do another batch! I did notch a frame eggs and larva from a good colony and put that in the nuc in case I don't get a queen for them. Will check it for cells in a day or two.

The pygmy will be an experiment. I just want to see the difference between big and small queens with my own eyes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.