Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Hive Tracks is still churning

9K views 32 replies 22 participants last post by  mhenson 
#1 ·
Its been a long time since my last post. I wanted to let intrested folks know that we are still out there and working to get all of your ideas and requests included. We hope to have a big push for new features this spring. If there is something you woud like to see added to Hive Tracks, let us know.

#3 ·
Thanks for the response. As I mentioned we are planning a new and far more feature rich Hive Tracks. Larger operations are going to be part of the planning so palets are on the to-do list. In fact the whole subject of large scale management of colonies, equipment and tracking those things is on the plate for discussion. I will be sure to post back here as the close in on those features. Thanks again for using Hive Tracks!

#6 ·
I gave Hive Tracks a fair trial last year but got frustrated with the time it took to enter information (click around and wait for screens to load)(..and no interest in spending the money for smart phone with only 100 hives). It would be nice to have a sleek stripped down version were you can quickly enter information for a yard based on notes taken. Like a direct entry into the database that backs up the pretty front end.

#21 ·
You may need to look at your end for the speed issues. I have no issue with the speed of the site.

I am not sure juts how fast you woudl want to be able to inter inspection information. I can do a complete hive in about 30 to 45 seconds. as for being able to enter data according to your notes. You woudl have to make up your own spreed sheet based upon the notes you take. if that is random notes for every hive then nothing will work. otherwise you can print hive track inspection sheets that then can be entered line for line on the data base.

I do not use a smart phone either but I do record information at the hive during inspections.

I woudl like to see hive tracks develop into a more complete apiary tracking and inventory system. it has a long way to go.

#12 ·
We hear ya on the quicker more direct way to work. We're planning the third release of Hive Tracks now to include something along those lines. Could you give me an example of what you would like to see? Maybe a spreadsheet where you enter all the notes (or upload them) then save it all at one time? Is there some other app or service (not necessarily relate to beekeeping) where they do a good job of this? I want to get this right the first time and only do the work if the result is truly useful. Thanks for the feedback!!

#14 · (Edited)
I do use it, but should do reports more often. Thanks for the Android mobile update. It would be nice to attach a photo directly from a phone or tablet (Android) while at the hive. On adding the NUC I am interested in trying some recently added plans for 8 frame med. super frame NUCs (DCoats plan updates in another thread), so having the NUC configurable would be nice.
Thanks for a very useful application and the support to maintain it!

Update: I just did some inspection reports and ran across some equipment items I would like to see added:
Foundationless frames
Mouse guard
Freeman oil traps

#15 ·
When you define a queen for the hive it would be nice to be able to pick the queen mother. Then it may be possible to draw the family tree for queens in the future.

One way to support nucs and 8-frame is to use the Tags field when defining the hive. I use this field to describe the brood boxes. For instance, when the yard is listed it looks something like this:

Hive #1
(10-Deep)

Hive #2
(8-Medium)

Hive #3
(5-Deep)

Hive #4
(5-Medium)

#17 ·
Hive Tracks has just rolled out a complete overhaul. The new website is sleek, appealing, functional, intuitive, and any other 10-dollar synonym you can think of for "awesome". Check it out, for real.

#22 ·
Like the new role-out and look. I left a couple of suggestions to add Ultra Bee to the food list. Also, if you just put a food in the other/comments box of an inspection (ie Ultra Bee) without checking a food it will record "0" feedings in the inspection summary. I guess I could just check one that is close and go with that.

#23 ·
Thank you for Hive Tracks! I use it all t he time and have no problems with the speed of the site. Looking forward to the NUC option and have one little request: A manual entry for queen lineage would be helpful to me and to anyone producing their own local queens. HTH :)

#25 · (Edited)
Hive Tracks

Its been a long time since I was here to talk about Hive Tracks. A lot's changed and its worthy of discussion. The site has been completely rebuilt from the ground up. It now supports nucs, top bar, inventory, a new "off the charts" hive editor, integrated calendar with reminders, true picture and video uploads, sharing and groups. For example, clubs can create a group for its members. The group has its own web page and web address accessible to the public (or keep it private to the group... your choice). Club members can add selected hives to the group then review photos, inspections and other hive data as a group at their meetings. Hive Tracks recently passed the 10,000 registered user mark with over 60,000 hives being managed. We're approaching "big data" status have stats available based on location. Amazing new functionality. Have a look www.hivetracks.com.

#28 ·
Re: Hive Tracks

I signed up and have been playing around all morning. One suggestion, when adding a hive and filling in queen info, how about another selection in the drop down, or even a user input box for when your queen type is not there? Specifically, my queen(s) are Minnesota Hygenic x open mated likely carni (maybe german). I could use MH or Carni so this is not a huge thing at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.