Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Golden Mean Hive from Backyardhives

30K views 48 replies 14 participants last post by  KatGold 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#40 ·
The only issue I have ever had with comb building was a little wave in the edge of the combs after they had filled out about 50% of the hive. Straighten out the edge and put a straight comb behind it from elsewhere in the hive and you are golden.

#42 ·
My bees are doing great! They all made it through the winter and are healthy and friendly. But I didn't get a speck of honey. I have to feed them in February. I'm disappointed in my box, but am pleased with my nice little bees. If I can afford it, I'm going to switch to a langstroth next year.

#44 ·
outside looking in, both my original hive and my modified hive are completely full (thriving), I haven't opened them yet

per a previous post my original hive swarmed 3 times last year...the hive is too small IMO, the modified version I made looks promising

KatGold, you expecting honey to be in there after the winter? I would suspect mine would have used most of their stores up during the winter.

Also, why disappointed? going to a Lang. doesn't mean your hive will survive

#46 ·
I was looking on the Top Bar Site to get some information on bar width for the hive he built from looking at pictures. I have traditional Lang. hives but am impressed by the look of your hive and though that it may be interesting to try a top bar hive (if winter ever ends in Minnesota this year). I admittedly no know nothing about Top Bar design except what I have read in the last 30 minutes. Wondering if you have plans for your hive that you would be willing to share.

Great looking hive.

#49 ·
Well heck yea, I would love to see your plans. I will PM you in a moment.

Thanks for the comment about my hive plan being at the bottom half (or worse) of the TBH plans. I really felt like this was the right direction for me and have been sorely disappointed. It was quite an expense to get no honey out of it, but I do keep reminding myself that a greater good (more thrown bees) was served. I'm glad to know I just made a bad choice.

I've considered getting a food grade barrel from the local homebrew shop and slicing it down the side, figuring out a way to keep it from rolling over, and moving my bars into it. I haven't figured out a landing board, but maybe just drilled holes would do. What do you think about that?

I'm pretty sure I'll try the lang. I'm sort of running out of space, but what the heck. No harm in trying. No harm in putting them beside each other either, I don't think.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.